starting strength gym
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Why doesn't anyone do medium deadlifts?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Whether you like or use RPE or not, how can you not like Mike (not that anyone said they dont)? He appears to be the nicest guy you'd ever meet and is a refreshing change from the loud, brash, in your face personalities that are so common on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Dag View Post
    Whether you like or use RPE or not, how can you not like Mike (not that anyone said they dont)? He appears to be the nicest guy you'd ever meet and is a refreshing change from the loud, brash, in your face personalities that are so common on the internet.
    He is a good dude. I attended one of his seminars and I'm an RTS client. Very humble considering all he has achieved.

I do like Mike. He said it best in that video when he said RPE is meant for a controlled aggressive approach to training. Personality goes into training and for him obviously it works. For me personally i dont know if its a good fit. Whatever i do physically i tend to be overly aggressive both outside and inside the gym which obviously has its downsides as well. That being said i dont know if its a good fit for myself but I am not against trying it. I would really like Tom and some of the more experienced coaches to discuss this particular thing in detail to come closer to the truth of this matter by bringing their thoughts and analysis to the table. Maybe not worth their time but obviously a lot of us want to know more about it. You have your only RPE guys like Hanley and Tom on one extreme then you have the opposite people like Sullivan and Andy who say they dont use it at all with their clients.

Most of my clients only use RPE for secondary movements and accessory exercises, actually. I still have quite a few who use the full RPE system, but they number less than the people whose programs are based around percentages and APRE. FWIW.
    Last edited by Tom Narvaez; 03-27-2017 at 09:10 AM.

Even Mike doesn't use "RPE only". For low intensities where RPE isn't as accurate, the programming will specify percentages based off a moderately heavy single. It's a tool and has to be applied appropriately.

Andy uses a different form of autoregulation in the article I posted, even if it doesn't use the RPE scale. Not saying he uses it all the time, but in at least one instance he is.

Sullivan said he doesn't coach advanced trainees - the population that would benefit the most from RPE.

starting strength coach development program
    I didnt mean absolutely. My mistake. Im saying there are some of you who are in favor and some that arent to a large degree. Thanks though

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678