starting strength gym

Thread: Tapering Last Week of HLM

Default Tapering Last Week of HLM

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been on my current HLM program for 4 months now. I actually began it using a Starr 5x5 protocol now I've transitioned into the latter stage cycle of HLM as illustrated in PPST3, 5x1,3x3,1x5. I can tell a lot of fatigue has built up, as the weights get heavier, my depth has gotten really close on my squat. For the last 3 weeks I've had a SSC look at it, and they've checked out as good, but barely. My medium day is approaching PR 5RM territory ( it feels like I have two TM intensity days). So I feel it's time for this program to reach a climax, and to wrap it up. Yesterday I managed 450x1x5. The previous week's light day load was 360x3x3, and medium day was 400x5. I'm planning on taking out one top single for a new 1RM next heavy day(have my crosshairs set on 470),so instead of increasing the light-medium day loads, I'm considering resetting them back 10% to 325x3x3 and 360x5. I've done this in the past using TM ( I reset my volume/light day back 10% the final week prior to maxing) with success. I train for general strength and have never competed in powerlifting, so I figured that I would seek advice from those who have more experience with this.

Do you mean you are cycling 5x1, 3x3 and 1x5 on your heavy day? Or is that what you are doing throughout the week? If it's the later, the 450x1x5 and 400x5x1 are both heavy workouts. See table 7-1 in PPST3, assuming 450 is close to 1RM (within maybe 5% since you're doing singles across) you're doing a set of 5 at roughly 85%, which still is a heavy set.
    Furthermore, while the 360x3x3 is lighter and in the appropriate range, you're doing nearly twice the volume as the other 2 days. Light day should probably have NO MORE volume than the other days, and probably less. It may have been working OK for you because your heavy and medium days are pretty low volume at 5 reps each, but I would guess that you want more volume either on heavy day, or spread between heavy and medium days.
    My understanding for tapering/peaking, is that you would reduce overall volume for a week or two (my contention is that for an intermediate, a single week is all that is needed) while keeping intensity high. Not really sure how that would fit into your current program, as volume is already low with pretty high intensity twice a week. I would suggest maybe trying some singles or doubles on medium day at planned weight, instead of a set of 5.

I'm doing 5 singles on heavy day, 3x3 @ 80 on light, and 1 set of 5 @ 90 on medium, so yes, the latter.

Rippetoes suggestion is to not even taper for the meet as an intermediate but just go put up a total because you are supposed o be getting stronger each week anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Rippetoes suggestion is to not even taper for the meet as an intermediate but just go put up a total because you are supposed o be getting stronger each week anyways.
    Right, but I know that this program is drawing to an end( I hate to say it, perception wise), so I was just thinking a little "offset" may refresh me somewhat. If I keep on course, Thursday I will be squatting 405x 5( most current PR for 5 is 410x5), then I will be attempting a PR single @ 470 Sunday. It's been working for the last few weeks, so I assume it still may.
    Last edited by Bradley Gish; 03-27-2017 at 09:49 AM.