starting strength gym

Thread: 4 Day upper/lower split with RPE?

Default 4 Day upper/lower split with RPE?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I‘m ready for a programming change, read Jordan‘s 5/3/1 article picked up Izzy‘s e-book, but I‘m not sure where to go. A local german coach recommended a four week block of 5 sets of 10 on bench, 5 sets of 6-8 on squat and deads twice I week, all@50-60%, he called it muscle fiber training (hypertrophy?). Compared to PPST3 and BBRx, I wasn‘t sure what to think. I thought of Sully calling it malpractice.

I don‘t really want a 3 Day power lifting program like Izzy‘s. Jordan‘s general strength program is 3 Days. I‘d rather like to move to an autoregulated, 4 Day upper/lower split that will develop my lower body lifts. Technically, my squat is a work in progress, but I think it‘s getting there. I like to deadlift, but ran into the problem of sucking at it on a bi-weekly basis. Form check on that was okay and Steve Hill suggested switching between halting and rack pulls, but if possible, I‘d rather put that off until I‘m stronger or older. I‘d be happy to do a bench-focused program if the upper body will develop faster. I‘m up for squat and deadlift variations if I‘m ready for that. Til now I‘ve only tried SLDL.

BW: 222
    Waist: 41
    Height: 6‘1“
    H/L 4 Day Split (S&M 40 plus/BBRx p. 266) 7-8 months. Gained about 10 lbs.

Current numbers
    Press: 123x5 Bench:170x5 Squat: 270x5 Deadlift: 308x5

Upper body has improved (press and bench both up 30 lbs) since seven or eight months ago. On squats I started with sets across, but now I mostly do one top set (RPE ~9-10) at the weekly rep range and some back offs (RPE 8-10). I figure something with the bench frequency or upper body assistance compared to SSLP helped, but on squats and deads I‘ve not gone up much more than 10 lbs since moving to intermediate and I feel like I‘m pushing the intensity limit (see RPE 9-10) every heavy workout. Jordan wrote about developing strength and hypertrophy with volume, but Andy and Sully write that volume is the bane of the older lifter. I‘m not afraid of intensity and singles and triples were good to work with, but lately I‘m doubting their productivity for development.

As far as recovery goes, I‘ve had a couple brief encounters with overreaching and subsequently deloaded, but it fluctuates and mostly it doesn't seem to over tax me. I connect these encounters to fail or near-failed reps on squats or deadlifts, rather than lack of sleep, too much accessory work, conditioning or volume at lower intensities. I‘m intrigued by the idea of doing more volume in the 70-80% range.

Lifting goals: Squat 305 for fives, BP 220 1RM
    Reduce waistline, chest/back/shoulder hypertrophy ;-)
    I train first thing in the morning 4 days a week 60-90 minutes.
    Also a couple of rides (50-75 miles per week) during the cycling season.

My log is here:
    Pete's Strength after 50 Log

I asked about the deadlifts upstairs:
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...icky-info.html

and about my LP a while back here:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...h-lp-50-a.html
    Last edited by VikingCellist; 03-28-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Am I getting stronger?

I didn't get a response to this back then, so I went ahead and started the programming described in Izzy's Programming to Win book, although I'm not an aspiring power lifter. I'm doing this for health as I get older and because I like lifting. My weight is the same and I lost maybe an inch on my waist in three months. I have a check up in a week to re-check an enzyme and need to pause for a week. At this point, I would appreciate if those with some or any experience could give me some advice on how to proceed with programming.

BW: 222
    W: 41in

April 3 started 3 day/week "PNP3" 6 weeks with one week off for vacation. It's advanced novice with light day, no OHP and back-off sets.

TnG Bench:170x5 -> Pause Bench: 174x5
    Squat: 270x5 -> 280x5
    Deadlift: 308x5 -> 303x5

May 22 Protocol for moving to intermediate is to fail to get 3 reps, but since I was rather tired, bench was starting to grind and my lower back was not recovering, I saw it coming and switched to PIP1, which I have run now for 4 weeks.

Here are my current numbers:
    June 17
    BW: 221
    W: 40

Pause Bench: 192.5x2@10
    Squat: 303x3@9
    Deadlift: 325x3@9

Three and a half months ago, 192.5lbs was my bench 1RM, Squats are 20lbs over old triple, and DL is up 5 lbs.

Pete, Try something simple like Andy Baker's 5/3/1 program or Candito's program. While Candito's is a powerlifting specific routine, Andy's may align better with your goals. Both will make you stronger...