starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squat Plateau or Just A Bad Workout?

Question Squat Plateau or Just A Bad Workout?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    23 year old male, 168lbs, 5'9", BF ~18% doing a starting strength-like program (3x5 LP). I have progressed on the squat through 230lbs. This week I attempted to do 3x5 at that weight. First set was good, second set I lost control at the bottom of the third rep came forward and had to step out and grind it up to stop from falling. Last set of 5 was slower, more controlled and went alright (but exhausting).

In the past couple of weeks the progression seems to be increasingly difficult. Did I just get fast and loose with the form (complacent), or is it just getting too heavy and I need to reset or repeat the same weight (plateauing)?

kCals @2700-3000
    Protein intake @90-150g
    Just started taking creatine and BCAAs as weight got heavier.

Let me know if you need more detailed information, thank you. (My first post btw)

you need more protein and my guess is you should be a little heavier by now just dont go crazy with calories at your BF though

When did you start SS, and what weight did your squat start at? What was your starting weight? Are you getting 8 hours of sleep a night? Are you squatting 3x a week and adding 5lb every session?

While on LP you should probably be aiming for at least 1lb a week since you aren't fat/overweight. You should also be eating at least 1g of protein per lb of bodyweight.

Concerning calorie macros, read this: To Be A Beast | Barbell Medicine

I think you're right about the protein. I did notice that in the past week or so my weight shot up from the low 160's to upper 160's (morning weigh-in), but that may be due to the creatine water-weight. I think I might have another month before I need to slow the bulk down or just go for a short-term cut. I'm not sure where to strike that balance.

do yourself a favor and DO NOT try a slow cut this early into strength development

If you're talking about cutting already you should probably just buy the book (Starting Strength) and run the LP. Aim for 1lb of weight a week while on LP, fat is easy to cut later, but you want to put on as much muscle as you can on a LP. Once you have truly exhausted your LP, then figure out what you want to do with your weight, diet, and training.

And your sudden increase in weight is probably water retention from creatine. I lose/gain ~6lbs the few times I've gotten on and off of it.

It's hard to say exactly where my squat first started at because I trained a couple months here and there in college and afterward which probably took my squat from something like 95-170lbs. So 170lbs is where I started my current progression. I have been doing 3x5 once per week for about 13 weeks adding 5lbs per week/session getting to stated 230lbs. When I started I had previously had problems squatting 2-3 times per week aggravating my hip flexors to the point where I would have to stop squatting so I just did the main lifts once per week 3x5. So that's 4 days in the gym per week, each dedicated to only one movement, the squat, deadlift, bench, or press. I also had tendinitis issues benching/pressing multiple times per week. Doing each movement once per week was pain free and allowed for gradual progression.

Otherwise 1lb/week is about what I have seen, seeing as I started around 155lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by merrico93 View Post
    It's hard to say exactly where my squat first started at because I trained a couple months here and there in college and afterward which probably took my squat from something like 95-170lbs. So 170lbs is where I started my current progression. I have been doing 3x5 once per week for about 13 weeks adding 5lbs per week/session getting to stated 230lbs. When I started I had previously had problems squatting 2-3 times per week aggravating my hip flexors to the point where I would have to stop squatting so I just did the main lifts once per week 3x5. So that's 4 days in the gym per week, each dedicated to only one movement, the squat, deadlift, bench, or press. I also had tendinitis issues benching/pressing multiple times per week. Doing each movement once per week was pain free and allowed for gradual progression.

Otherwise 1lb/week is about what I have seen, seeing as I started around 155lbs.
    You need a form check for hip flexors (knees are probably sliding forward), then a reset and squat 3 times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by merrico93 View Post
    23 year old male, 168lbs, 5'9", BF ~18% doing a starting strength-like program (3x5 LP).
    Well, this begs the question: what else are you doing in your Starting Strength-like program? If you're not doing SS as written, you might be doing other things that are interfering with your progress.

starting strength coach development program
    After reading everybody's responses it seems clear I need to just commit to the program as written, up my protein intake, reset the weight, and see how far I can take the novice LP.

Marcf, I would sometimes do accessory work if I felt like I had the energy. Sometimes front squats, power cleans, pause squats and deadlifts, weighted back extensions for squat/deadlift days. I might do triceps push-downs or pause bench for press/bench days. So you're right that probably is taking valuable recovery resources I don't have to spare.

Sinai, I'll see about getting a video up in the form check area for my squat. Thanks to all who posted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast