starting strength gym

Thread: how to run a faster 5K without getting weak?

Default how to run a faster 5K without getting weak?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Over the fall and winter I have been performing an upper/lower split routine and at a weight of 170 and age 38 I am at:
    Squat 1RM = 325, or 275x5x3
    Bench 1RM = 215, or 180x5x3
    Deadlift 1RM = 390, or 345x5x1
    Press 1RM = 140, or 110x5x3

These small improvements in my strength came with a gain of 10 pounds in body weight and often feeding until I felt uncomfortably full. Prior to last fall I had already been barbell training for about 6 years.

But now I feel like my program is getting stale, and I want to go after two goals I have failed to attain over the past few years: a 5k run in under 21 minutes and 21 chin-ups. About 3 years ago I did the 5k course in 21:05 and 20 chin-ups. Nowadays I'm slower and can only do 17 chin-ups, so the strength I have gained by force-feeding myself hasn't kept up with the amount of fat I've put on. I also feel sort of stiff and slow, but I'd rather feel springy and energetic.

I am looking for suggestions for how I should alter my exercise program to achieve these goals without sacrificing much of my hard-earned strength.

Never seen anyone chase a long distance running goal without getting weaker. It's two competing goals. My long distance running clients I have in the gym are the weakest clients on the roster. I'm not an advocate of long distance running for fitness.

I am an advocate for sprints in a moderate volume

So would you say HIIT sprint workouts for 20 minutes per session, perhaps consisting of like 20-40 seconds of sprinting with 2 minutes rest between, would be better than just jogging and jogging and more jogging? If so, how many sprint workouts per week, and how should I incorporate these workouts into a 4-day split routine?

A few years ago I did manage to shave a little off my time every week at the weekly 5k running group by sprinting twice a week and only doing the long-slow-distance 5k run once a week. Unfortunately, I wasn't keeping good track of my barbell training at the time, so I'm really seeking advice on how to mix the HIIT and strength training together.

You could get by with 2-3 sprint workouts per week. But when I say "sprints" I don't mean 100% all out efforts like we are training for a speed test. You'll probably wind up getting hurt doing that and its draining on the CNS. I recommend about 80-90% of max effort speed, a subjective measurement I know, but most people can find it.

I'd do like this:

Mon - Upper
    Tues- Squat/Dead + sprints
    Thurs - Upper
    Fri - Squat / Dead + sprints
    Sat - Sprints

Anything from 50-100 yds for about 1000yds total will suffice. So UP TO 20 x 50 yds or 10 x 100yds, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BenzoSt View Post
    Over the fall and winter I have been performing an upper/lower split routine and at a weight of 170 and age 38 I am at:
    Squat 1RM = 325, or 275x5x3
    Bench 1RM = 215, or 180x5x3
    Deadlift 1RM = 390, or 345x5x1
    Press 1RM = 140, or 110x5x3

These small improvements in my strength came with a gain of 10 pounds in body weight and often feeding until I felt uncomfortably full. Prior to last fall I had already been barbell training for about 6 years.

But now I feel like my program is getting stale, and I want to go after two goals I have failed to attain over the past few years: a 5k run in under 21 minutes and 21 chin-ups. About 3 years ago I did the 5k course in 21:05 and 20 chin-ups. Nowadays I'm slower and can only do 17 chin-ups, so the strength I have gained by force-feeding myself hasn't kept up with the amount of fat I've put on. I also feel sort of stiff and slow, but I'd rather feel springy and energetic.

I am looking for suggestions for how I should alter my exercise program to achieve these goals without sacrificing much of my hard-earned strength.
    If it's that big a goal for you, maybe you want to train for it and then afterwards you can work back to your current strength. I agree with Andy though that those are two competing goals (like he needs my agreement). So you have to decide which is most important for you right now. At your age and bodyweight (what was your height?), you should have no problem getting back to where you are now if you make that a future goal.

I suggest you google Alex Viada. He has written a lot about combining lifting and endurance sports.

Quote Originally Posted by JyriKos View Post
    I suggest you google Alex Viada. He has written a lot about combining lifting and endurance sports.
    Is he the marathon/700lb squat guy? Years ago I recall a thread here that came to the conclusion a lot of his claims were suspect.

This kind of dovetails a little bit but can you use "crossfit" in addition to an intermediate program like TM to improve aerobic capacity without losing strength or is anything in that aerobic zone going to cause strength loss?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Steele View Post
    Is he the marathon/700lb squat guy? Years ago I recall a thread here that came to the conclusion a lot of his claims were suspect.
    I would be suspect of anyone that claimed a 700 lb squat while training for marathons concurrently.