starting strength gym
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: So does the Texas method suck?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyftomancer View Post
    Thus, my question is: how can you handle the 5x5 weight increment in order to help ID, but without stalling on VD first?
    You continue to gain bodyweight. You grow larger and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyftomancer View Post
    I plan to start a 4-day TM and I am very concerned (and confused) about the 5x5 squats (or maybe bench too).

As far as I know, the VD is required to produce a desired amount of stress in order to lift more the ID. To do that, the weight in 5x5 has to increase too. That means that if the weight in 5x5 stops increasing it might be hard to increase the weigh in 1x5 as well. However, I read that it can be a mistake to linear progress at 5x5. Thus, you have to manage the weight somehow and not increase it every week.

Thus, my question is: how can you handle the 5x5 weight increment in order to help ID, but without stalling on VD first?

If you stall on VD, you might lower it to 4x5, but not less since this would not be considered a VD. Moreover, if you can do a 4x5 but still can't increase the weight this means that you can't produce the required stress to progress on ID, right?
    I know about dropping to two 3s, three 2s , etc on ID, but I was thinking that this is more appropriate if you fail to ID because of the high intensity, not because a problematic volume day, meaning that, if you stall on ID that might be because of the not good amount of stress produced on VD, thus, more load would be required on VD!

Your thoughts please?
    Read Barbell Prescription. It has numerous ways to progress on your volume and intensity. It's awesome even if your not 40+

If you've got a time concern, try ascending or descending 5x5 sets (mentioned in that article by Andy).

The volume is lower, but you can keep the workout time down. I'm doing a 5x5 ascending right now and it seems to make the session go faster. Can't speak as to their effectiveness yet though, as I've only been doing it for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    If you've got a time concern, try ascending or descending 5x5 sets (mentioned in that article by Andy).

The volume is lower, but you can keep the workout time down. I'm doing a 5x5 ascending right now and it seems to make the session go faster. Can't speak as to their effectiveness yet though, as I've only been doing it for a week.
    Hmmm...do less work and it goes faster...please tell me more. Ahh, and you have been doing it for a week, I see. You can't speak to it's effectiveness. A fella name of Andy wrote an article. Intriguing discoveries, professor.

starting strength coach development program
    Texas method has worked great for me in the past--if you follow it correctly and you have the appropriate foundation it does what it's supposed to. Gains.

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839