starting strength gym
Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: So does the Texas method suck?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I've mentioned this before, dude, but I've never seen anyone come close to your tap #s. My sample data includes a handful of pro (and former pro) athletes. Tapping is your primary talent in life. Don't sin against talent. Quit whatever stupid engineering shit you do, and spend your days tapping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    If anyone wants to see an anthology on TM, check out manveer's log in the intermediate section.
    Now accepting online coaching clients. Tap test and Texas Method guidance for only $300/mo.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Tap test and Texas Method guidance for only $300/mo.
    With Manveer's help, I went from 78 to 101 taps in 10 seconds. My wife has never been happier. Well worth the $300/mo!!!

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Now accepting online coaching clients. Tap test and Texas Method guidance for only $300/mo.
    How much for your unwashed gym clothes? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    With Manveer's help, I went from 78 to 101 taps in 10 seconds. My wife has never been happier. Well worth the $300/mo!!!
    One of many benefits to tap test training.

Also, see my colleague Dr. Gilchrest's offerings: #startinglength and #gaininggirth

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    How much for your unwashed gym clothes? Asking for a friend.
    There's a monthly lottery system among my clients for those.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Will you be able to recommend that I take steroids?
    Diet and supplement help is an extra $99/mo. However, steroids are my #1 recommended supplement. Start with prednisone.

I agree with Bobby.

As soon as you have to start "cycling" rep ranges and all that shit, just move to actual, periodized programming.

If you can legitimately still add 2.5-5lbs every single week, you need to be doing that shit. It's still a novice progression at that point. Weekly progress is not "intermediate" programming. It's the last stage of novice programming. The stage where "weekly programming" actually works is probably shorter than the rest of the novice phase combined and is obviously way shorter than the "advanced" period (SS definitions). It's kind of bizarre to have an entire classification for programs that will work for like 3 months of your entire training career, tops.

Adding 5lbs per week, per lift is a ridiculous rate of progress only sustainable by a relative novice. Really think about it.

Hi Mr. Narvaez,

First, who is Bobby? I missed this...

Am I understanding this correctly:

1. The classification for programs that work for around 3 months that you are referring to is the "Intermediate" Category, as defined by Starting Strength?

2. You are saying that this 3 month period of weekly progress should still be called Novice?

3. You would classify someone as Intermediate who no longer makes weekly progress?

4. Once weekly progress is exhausted, it is less than optimal to cycle rep ranges? Are you referring to the popular 3 week rotation of 5x3, 3x3, 1x3?

5. Instead of cycling rep ranges, you suggested this person should begin periodized programming. Some people think they are doing periodized programming when they cycle the rep ranges.
    Could you explain to them how that is incorrect and why what you have suggested is better (I suspect one key point will be that cycling rep ranges like above yields very slow progress)?

6. The Texas Method (in all it's variations) is an "Intermediate" (SS definition) program- how should it really be viewed? As a last stage novice program?

7. Would you say that the Texas Method (in all it's forms) is only a short-term program and that many lifters think it is a long-term program, and subsequently this contributes to their demise by continuing to do it for way too long?

Appreciate all your insights and your website! Thanks, bro!

Bobby is Briks.

1) Yes, someone who can make progress every week is not an "intermediate". They're a final stage novice. Adding 250lbs to a lift per year is not an "intermediate" rate of progression (even if that rate of progress only lasts 2-3 months).
    2) Yes. In my opinion.
    3) Roughly. Someone who needs actual training cycles to make progress.
    4) No. I'm referring to the PPST "running out the Texas Method" where only ID rep ranges are cycled.
    5) It is a form of periodization but you're still doing almost exactly the same thing every single week: 5x5 Mon, 2x5 Wednesday, and then your cycled ID day ranges: 1x5, 2x3, 3x2, 5x1. When I say "an actual periodized program", I'm talking about something that progresses from week to week and possibly block to block. I'm talking about something that doesn't have you doing the exact same thing every damn week like SS (a novice program).
    6) Yes. In my opinion.
    7) Yes. And that goes for novice LP, too. Getting "everything you can" out of LP is a giant waste of time that will actually slow your rate of progression down in the long run. IMO.

ad 7) When "getting everything you can" means a linear novice progression is still working (weekly progression), then its clearly the most effective way to train. If it implies a dozens setbacks and so on (which you probably thought of) then Im with you. Pretty much in line with other coaches.

Arguing whether TM is an intermediate, novice, late novice, shmolblich or intmeldlic program is arguing semantics. If you can add 2.5# to your squat every week then you should do it. Andy Baker has repeatedly said 5x5 and 1x5 don't last very long before you need to cycle rep ranges. He also said many times he advises to use TM for 16-24 weeks before switching to HLM, and possibly going back to TM for a short cycle 1x or 2x a year before meets.

starting strength coach development program
    I did HLM for 3 months and added 40 pounds to my squat and 20 pounds to my bench and press. I actually didnt even run it out i just started out rotating 5,3,1 on heavy day.

The entire premise of PPST3 is exactly what the title says..."practical" simple programming options that a layman can understand and use.

If you want to go into periodized programming early you will still make progress and thats better than no progress but the texas method, HLM, split routine work way longer than 3 months.

I believe that statement so profoundly that I myself will be doing the Texas method in a few short weeks.

Page 15 of 39 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast