starting strength gym

Thread: Intermediate pressing template

Default Intermediate pressing template

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Andy,

my pressing strength regresses for some reason. I built up to a 73kg x5 press and 92.5kg 5,5,4 paused bench (on the LP) and then got sick. After leaving out 3 sessions I planned on getting my strength back in 2-3 weeks.
    Those weeks went by and now I'm back at my previous bodyweight. My squat already PR'ed by 5kg and I've successfully completed my previous deadlift 5RM again last session.
    But my pressing strength regressed. I can only press 67kg for 5,4,4 now. It took me such a long time microloading it up to 73kg and now all the strength is gone.
    My bench regressed too. I got 91kg for 5,5,4 paused and switched to tng and threw a belt to keep my numbers. But the first set of 92.5kg was an RPE 9,5 and I had to go on working with 90kg even though I just switched from paused to tng (expected a 5kg boost).
    I am annoyed by getting weaker.
    I've seen your sample HLM program, which offers a range from 3-5 sets on the pressing movements. I think the 3x5 approach is too similiar to SS and will continue to make me weaker. Would doing 5 sets on both bench and press be appropriate?
    Something like that:

M: bench 5x5
    W: press 5x5
    F: cgbp 3x5 + 2x8-10

I've recently read a lot from Tom, who talks about volume all the time. So I think I need to increase volume in order to keep progressing, right? Besides from HLM I would like to try a DUP template he layed out.

M: bench 75% 4x8
    W: bench 80% 5x1
    F: bench 85% 2x3, 1x3+

How would I program the press on top of that? (Reps, sets, on which days)

I'm 17 y/o, 1,79 cm, 84,5kg
    Went down to 83kg during sickness, now at 84,5kg again.

I would just Bench on Monday and Friday and Press on Wednesday. Make 3x5 your goal for each day, but add in 2x5 as backoff on each day for the next couple of weeks. The added volume might get you back up again and then you can peel it back if need be and resume your SS program.