starting strength gym

Thread: The Novice Program for High School Athletes

Default The Novice Program for High School Athletes

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I run a club sports program for high school students. They have historically done circuit training which easily accomodates the 20 kids we average at a practice.
    I have started introducing basic barbell training with the ultimate goal of having our athletes do two workouts a week (basically the novice A&B workouts described in Starting Strength).
    The trouble is, and the question this article brought to mind, how to navigate a weight room with 20+ kids doing just a few basic lifts.
    I have only one power rack, one bench, and five olympic barbells.
    I assume we should do our warmups, group the athletes as best we can by size and ability, and have them start at different exercises. Some start on the bench, some in the squat rack, and so on. Not ideal, but minimizes downtime.
    I want to make this change and spend my time supervising these lifts and not watching idle athletes mill around the gym waiting for the squat rack to be free.

I suggest you look at Starr's book The Strong Shall Survive. Squat, Bench, Clean. Divide group by height into 3 groups and start at different stations. Give them 20 minutes at each station to complete 5 x 5 with ascending sets. 5 x 3 on clean.