starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HIIT Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    And a related question: sometimes I do deadmill walks when I don't feel like having an airbike torture session. What's a good way to program them? Less than 30 seconds isn't very hard so I'm taking a short rest of about the same time. (Eg. 25s on 35s off). After 8-10 rounds I feel my legs are somewhat tired but I'm not out of breath by any means.
    Walks? I've done sprints 20 on 100 off. Don't know about walks.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Walks? I've done sprints 20 on 100 off. Don't know about walks.
    Sprints fucked up my knees and ankles real nahce. Just that one session.

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    Sprints fucked up my knees and ankles real nahce. Just that one session.
    Either your body is older than your age, or you didn't sprint right.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Even on an Airdyne, I'd argue max wattage will be technique-limited. So...even if I were stronger and generally more explosive than - say Steve Hill (sprint cyclist) - I'd bet his anaerobic power output on an Airdyne would absolutely destroy mine. You can get a "great workout" doing all sorts of spastic shit, but absolute anaerobic-power output will be limited AND you risk getting hurt.
    I'm curious about this. You can't be all that spastic on the bike. I guess you could, but it would be silly. I figured that the technique adjustments were just so obvious that they would correct themselves. For instance, torso rotation more than an inch or so doesn't seem to help much. A lot of side to side movement isn't helpful either. If you are watching RPMs or wattage, these things become clear. Lifting your butt up a bit off the seat and using some body weight in the stroke helps a great deal to get up to speed. . . . I never thought of this as technique refinement. I guess it is, but it's so minor. I wonder if I'm just missing something. I'm totally ignorant of cycling, so I must be. . . .

As for injuries, I swear I have some shoulder pain from the airdyne. Perhaps there's a technique issue behind this.

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    I'm curious about this. You can't be all that spastic on the bike. I guess you could, but it would be silly. I figured that the technique adjustments were just so obvious that they would correct themselves. For instance, torso rotation more than an inch or so doesn't seem to help much. A lot of side to side movement isn't helpful either. If you are watching RPMs or wattage, these things become clear. Lifting your butt up a bit off the seat and using some body weight in the stroke helps a great deal to get up to speed. . . . I never thought of this as technique refinement. I guess it is, but it's so minor. I wonder if I'm just missing something. I'm totally ignorant of cycling, so I must be. . . .

As for injuries, I swear I have some shoulder pain from the airdyne. Perhaps there's a technique issue behind this.
    Don't flare your elbows too much and don't let your shoulders jam to and fro. It's something akin to rowing, so think that you're trying to row the bike handle more efficiently.

Would some spin sessions help? Learning some of the techniques might help

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford Simmons View Post
    Would some spin sessions help? Learning some of the techniques might help
    I don't think that's necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Don't flare your elbows too much and don't let your shoulders jam to and fro. It's something akin to rowing, so think that you're trying to row the bike handle more efficiently.
    OK. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    I don't think that's necessary.
    It depends on whether or not he's single and what bike he picks for the class.

starting strength coach development program
    I normally do 7-8 sets of 20 secs on 140 secs off on an airdyne once a week (working up to 10 sets), and it's HARD work! Yesterday I tried the C2 rower instead and simply couldn't get nowhere near the same level of exhaustion on 10 sets of 20 on 140 off. A bit sore in my hamstrings because of the novel motion, but that was it.

Is there really such a big difference between the two exercises?

Also, do anyone have a good suggestion for conditioning for 3 minute rounds karate fights? Maybe some crossfit style met-cons would be better than HIIT?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast