starting strength gym
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: HIIT Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    The machine did say 1:14, but I will go ahead and assume it's a mechanical "error". I had it on resistance 10/16. Perhaps it's the Chinese rower "quality".
    So this wasn't on a C2. OK. I was in awe for a moment there. C2's only go up to 10 and they aren't Chinese. Hence the time isn't comparable. 1:14 is world record rowing on a C2! . . . It's cool that you can turn your rower up to 11 though.

What kind of airdyne do you have? Schwinn or Assault Bike? I'm too scared to try a one minute max calorie ride. I tried 30 seconds once, burned out terribly, and then sat around for 10 minutes drowning above water hoping that I wouldn't die. I can't figure out what an comparable ride would be to a 500 meter row. I guess it's pointless. And the two airdynes have slightly different calorie algorithms. . . .

For 1:7 work rest ratio for true hiit I would agree, surprisingly, only bumping up to 25 or 30 seconds seems like a big difference, esp after round 3.

I've used 20 sec with a 20 work/40 rest thing for 10 rounds....works pretty decent.

The fixed number of max effort rows is interesting, gonna try when I get back to doing some conditioning in my brogram.
    Last edited by MBasic; 04-30-2017 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    So this wasn't on a C2. OK. I was in awe for a moment there. C2's only go up to 10 and they aren't Chinese. Hence the time isn't comparable. 1:14 is world record rowing on a C2! . . . It's cool that you can turn your rower up to 11 though.

What kind of airdyne do you have? Schwinn or Assault Bike? I'm too scared to try a one minute max calorie ride. I tried 30 seconds once, burned out terribly, and then sat around for 10 minutes drowning above water hoping that I wouldn't die. I can't figure out what an comparable ride would be to a 500 meter row. I guess it's pointless. And the two airdynes have slightly different calorie algorithms. . . .
    That makes sense! It was a good exercise and I like the longer intervals as opposed to the airdyne (which -after consulting Google- I am pretty sure is an assault bike, still not entirely sure what the difference is, though). The airdyne kills me, though. I usually did 20 on @~1000w (again caveat for Chinese tech) and 100 off and worked my way up to 8 intervals. I have to say that it works wonders for the conditioning, but it is just too taxing.

A few more tools in the toolkit. This forum is awesome!

Perhaps it's just me in my advanced years of geezerdom, but I find the 20 second HIIT intervals on a C2 work pretty well for me.

I also have had good luck with the SciFit arm bikes. On days when my lower back may be slightly whacked they are a godsend. And just look at the name! Inclusive Fitness, what more could socially conscious training folk want? They even have a bariactric model with a 600 lb. seat capacity. Inclusive Fitness PRO2® | Total Body | SCIFIT

Recently I discovered the rec center I lift in has a Jacob's Ladder. Just the one, and it has been in use when I am there for conditioning days. If anyone's interested, when I can get on it to use it I'll report back.

They also added some big honking Everlast heavy bags in the martial arts room. Gotta get in there and practice some striking flurries on HIIT programming to see how well that works under the protocol.

Me on a peg board? It is to laugh. I can barely manage one chin these days.

The bags they put in are two long banana bags and a wrecking ball round bag. Then I discovered they already had a speed bag platform in there too. Lotta variety to be had. Sadly, no BOB to practice specific point strikes with.

Since it's finals week I managed to get on the Jacob's Ladder. Woof! The motion is a lot like a Versaclimber and really gassed me fast. So much so, I had to get off it between intervals and walk around it to get air back in my lungs. Very strenuous. It even made my triceps ache, which is odd since there is only pulling with the arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Since it's finals week I managed to get on the Jacob's Ladder. Woof! The motion is a lot like a Versaclimber and really gassed me fast. So much so, I had to get off it between intervals and walk around it to get air back in my lungs. Very strenuous. It even made my triceps ache, which is odd since there is only pulling with the arms.
    Because you don't use your triceps to move your shoulders?

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Because you don't use your triceps to move your shoulders?
    I get what you are saying here, but unlike with a Versaclimber, there is no resistance on the extension of the arm to grab the next rung of the ladder. Not so with a Versaclimber where you have handles for both hands and pedals for both feet which can be set for variable resistance. That, I can understand why the triceps can get some significant work. The only variable in a Jacobs Ladder is speed of movement against gravity.

What's the best when main focus is fat loss instead of conditioning?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rojo View Post
    What's the best when main focus is fat loss instead of conditioning?
    That would be the activity that lets you burn the most energy. Targeting the fat substrate system instead of carbohydrates is fine, but eventually total energy is what counts.

Of course you should consider other aspects as well: interference with strength training, health, costs, time, fun.

In terms of amount of energy spent longer activities trump shorter ones even if shorter ones burn more cal/time, because they are not sustainable for very long: 25mins netto LISS > 5 mins netto HIIT + 10mins rest.

In that vein, you lose most fat when changing your daily behavior: How you spend your daily 16 waking hours has a larger impact on your calorie consumption than what you do three times a week for 20minutes. You probably wont change your job to burn more energy, but you can try to walk as much as possible, ride your bike to work, finally redo the garden you promised your gf/wife or play around with your kids/nephews/cousins more often. Everyday behavior and NEAT trumps any additional sports activity for non-professional athletes.

Of course, you could also just eat less.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast