starting strength gym
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HIIT Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Is there really such a big difference between the two exercises?
    Yes. You can't push as hard in something you're not technically proficient in. Also, C2 has a bigger technique component than air bike.

Also, do anyone have a good suggestion for conditioning for 3 minute rounds karate fights? Maybe some crossfit style met-cons would be better than HIIT?
    Yes. No.

Do something moderate for 3 min and rest for the amount of rest that you get between rounds. Do something with 3 min bouts where you have to do a burst every 20 or 30 seconds and go easier (not rest) the rest of the 30s window. Or you can do an EMOM kind of work. Or you can do HIIT with the same work:rest ratio that you have on those fights. Finally, karate fighting and bag work will get you conditioned to karate fighting.

Don't do shit that looks like crossfit, because that's unstructured and will get you too much soreness.

Is there really such a big difference between the two exercises?
    "20 seconds on" is pretty much useless on a rower. Either use a fixed number of max effort pulls, or just stick to 500s on the rower.

If you're decently strong and conditioned do 4 sub-1:40 500s with 2-3 minutes rest between each. HARD.

Then aim to get strong & fit enough to get below 1:30 for 4. Super fucking hard.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Do something moderate for 3 min and rest for the amount of rest that you get between rounds. Do something with 3 min bouts where you have to do a burst every 20 or 30 seconds and go easier (not rest) the rest of the 30s window. Or you can do an EMOM kind of work. Or you can do HIIT with the same work:rest ratio that you have on those fights. Finally, karate fighting and bag work will get you conditioned to karate fighting.
    Unfortunately I don't have access to a sparring partner outside of classes, so I have to stick with the 2 karate classes that I have per week, and we don't always get to spar there either. Traditional martial arts often have absurd approaches to strength and conditioning.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    "20 seconds on" is pretty much useless on a rower. Either use a fixed number of max effort pulls, or just stick to 500s on the rower.

If you're decently strong and conditioned do 4 sub-1:40 500s with 2-3 minutes rest between each. HARD.

Then aim to get strong & fit enough to get below 1:30 for 4. Super fucking hard.
    500s sound like it could do some more good for sure. I will combine with some more bag work and see if that improves my conditioning.
    Last edited by Rasmus Bengtsen; 04-16-2017 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Clarification

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Unfortunately I don't have access to a sparring partner outside of classes, so I have to stick with the 2 karate classes that I have per week, and we don't always get to spar there either. Traditional martial arts often have absurd approaches to strength and conditioning.

500s sound like it could do some more good for sure. I will combine with some more bag work and see if that improves my conditioning.
    Bag HIIT is a real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    No way can I sprint on my (broken) treadmill, about a fast walk is all I can manage because of the length of the belt- any position I could get into to push the belt in a sprint would end up with my feet off the end.
    For walks, I've done 50-60s on, 20-30s off.
    You need to scavenge a bigger treadmill. :P

Quote Originally Posted by allent View Post
    I'm not sure they make any long enough.
    I live a block from a track, if I really wanted to do sprints I'd probably just walk up there and run the straights and walk the turns. I've also got a prowler, which is what deadmill pushes are trying to replicate anyways.
    I thought you were thinking "winter prowler" when you got the deadmill. I never walked a deadmill, and the bitches at the gym asked me not to do them again because "it will damage the motor". So I'm stuck to bike HIIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    Yes. You can't push as hard in something you're not technically proficient in. Also, C2 has a bigger technique component than air bike.
    I agree there is a bigger technique component, but there is also some trial and error in finding the proper resistance setting. You need to find the right setting that allows you to work hard and fast. Just setting it to 10 may not allow you to row fast enough . But setting it too low will not allow you to hit maximum power. You have to try different resistance settings while monitoring your power output. Problem with this is you have to stop rowing in order to change the resistance setting.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post

So, I did 4 sets of 500 meters yesterday and got an avg. time per interval of 1:14. I did rest for 3 minutes in between, so I will try to do it with less rest next time. I will still say that the Airdyne is harder, though. I have also added heavy bag work to my conditioning and everything is improving pretty well.

So, I did 4 sets of 500 meters yesterday and got an avg. time per interval of 1:14. I did rest for 3 minutes in between, so I will try to do it with less rest next time. I will still say that the Airdyne is harder, though. I have also added heavy bag work to my conditioning and everything is improving pretty well.
    Wait. 1:14? Or 1:41?

If you got 4 x 1:14s, you should start training for 500m & 2K world records.

starting strength coach development program
    The machine did say 1:14, but I will go ahead and assume it's a mechanical "error". I had it on resistance 10/16. Perhaps it's the Chinese rower "quality".

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast