starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question from a novice regarding the Bench

Cool Question from a novice regarding the Bench

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I injured my back a while ago and it seems that after I've worked on squat form and deadlift form I'm able to restart my novice linear progression relatively pain-free and hopefully it goes better this time as I am more careful and patient.

Bench Press is the one lift that hurts my lower back however, probably due to the arch in the lower back, so what I did (I'm a special snowflake ) is that I just skipped the movement and started doing push ups with weights on my back. Feels a lot better and I activate my core a lot more which is one of my weak areas and also my shoulders feel better.

1. Is this OK or am I doing a mistake here? I feel that as long as I am able to continue squatting and deadlifting without pain I'm happy and this is one thing less to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by SSDino View Post
    I injured my back a while ago and it seems that after I've worked on squat form and deadlift form I'm able to restart my novice linear progression relatively pain-free and hopefully it goes better this time as I am more careful and patient.

Bench Press is the one lift that hurts my lower back however, probably due to the arch in the lower back, so what I did (I'm a special snowflake ) is that I just skipped the movement and started doing push ups with weights on my back. Feels a lot better and I activate my core a lot more which is one of my weak areas and also my shoulders feel better.

1. Is this OK or am I doing a mistake here? I feel that as long as I am able to continue squatting and deadlifting without pain I'm happy and this is one thing less to worry about.
    Have you tried benching without arching, or benching with feet up?

Yeah, benching with the feet up feels ok. But I still prefer the push ups because of the core workout. It's the same movement though push ups and bench?

Yeah, benching with the feet up feels ok. But I still prefer the push ups because of the core workout. It's the same movement though push ups and bench?
    No. Push-ups suck because they can't be incrementally loaded as the bench press. If you must sub bench, do dips, but we already know you don't need to sub bench, you want to sub bench. If you want to sub it, sub it, just don't come here asking for permission or confirmation.

Also, "core workout". Are you not squatting, deadlifting and pressing? We don't bench to "work our cores", we bench to get our pressing strength up.

If you want "core work" just do planks after. If you really want core work, do heavy squats. If you don't want to bench, just do presses every work out. If you don't want to do those, do bodyweight fitness. You don't need strangers to give you confirmation on ways to make your long term lifting career less effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Murelli View Post
    No. Push-ups suck because they can't be incrementally loaded as the bench press.
    Just thinking out loud about the problems with loaded pushups:

There are no safeties for pushups, I can bench with safeties.

To get full range of motion, you need pushup handles, such as a pair of small dumbbells.

To microload, you'd use a stack of little plates on your back, teetering and shifting.
    You will be doing a plank on your dumbbell handles while your helper builds this little tower for you, before you start your set!
    The set will be harder or easier depending on how fast your helper is.

Maybe a backpack to hold them, and to allow starting w/o a spotter, and starting faster?

If the pack shifts to the side, you'll overload that arm and fail painfully.
    If the pack shifts *up* your back during the set, your leverage gets worse and you'll fail painfully.

Looks to me as if weighted pushups have to be treated like a bodybuilding exercise, where you load them lightly (and coarsely with just one plate) and go for rep increases.

I.e. they aren't practical as an incrementally-loaded primary strength exercise.

Yeah, you are exactly right. I want to substitute it for push ups because it doesn't give me any pain. So benching with feet up vs Loaded Push Ups? Btw Murelli if one does not come to the forum to gain confirmation and support / new ideas then what are we doing here? I'm asking how big of a mistake that would be based on your guys experiences, no need to bash anyone. Calm down.

I think your right cwd, it would be rep increases after a certain point. I already use over 20kg on my back and after a certain point it's not gonna work to put more
    Last edited by SSDino; 04-17-2017 at 03:39 PM.

Floor press is probably the best substitute.

Cue yourself to flex your abs after you set your arch in the bench/set a smaller arch. A belt will also help this.

Inb4 "How much is in the backpack?"

starting strength coach development program
    Yeah, you are exactly right. I want to substitute it for push ups because it doesn't give me any pain. So benching with feet up vs Loaded Push Ups? Btw Murelli if one does not come to the forum to gain confirmation and support / new ideas then what are we doing here? I'm asking how big of a mistake that would be based on your guys experiences, no need to bash anyone. Calm down.

I think your right cwd, it would be rep increases after a certain point. I already use over 20kg on my back and after a certain point it's not gonna work to put more
    No need to get offended Dino: I didn't bash you, I bashed push-ups. As you can see for all the answers, they are really suboptimal for strength purposes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast