starting strength gym

Thread: TM deadlift accessory?

Default TM deadlift accessory?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy, I'm an early intermediate running a basic TM template. My lifts are progressing nicely except the deadlift. On reps 4 and 5 on my heavy set my upper back begins to round. I've taken multiple resets and every time I get to high 300s (380+) I can't hold the thoracic spine in perfect extension.

My pulling is setup as follows
    Monday- accessory
    Wednesday- power snatchx2x6
    Friday deadlift x5.

I'm learning the power snatch so I'm not strong enough to apply significant stress with it. I've considered adding RDLs Monday, rack pulls, or the halting deadlift.

What are your thoughts for Monday's pull? Which exercise (if any) for how many sets/ reps to help keep the back rigid on the deadlift?
    Last edited by BradBv; 04-17-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Perfect thoracic extension on the DL is not always 100% critical for a good pull or even for safety. It should be held RIGID, but a little bit of rounding is acceptable at max effort. If its egregious or if it is actively moving into greater and greater flexion during the pull then you may be at more risk. Some good lifters pull with a lot of rounding in the thoracic just fine.

Don't do Rack Pulls or haltings on Monday if you are gonna DL heavy on Friday. RDLs are fine. BB Rows may help some, but probably more of a technique/coaching/cue issue than something correctable with another exercise.

Appreciate the thorough reply. Will pay close attention over the next few weeks to determine if it worsens. Thanks again.