starting strength gym

Thread: Programming during early recovery for dislocated shoulder, labrum tear?

Default Programming during early recovery for dislocated shoulder, labrum tear?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In the Spring Classic on a Lift 3 PR Press, I, rather unfortunately but badassedly (new word? good), re-dislocated a previously dislocated shoulder, tearing a labrum and giving me a glenoid fracture. It happened after I locked out my press and was bringing th bar back down, when I heard and felt a pop and pain.

Which wasn't the way i wanted to show up at my first powerlifting meet, but sometimes we don't get the choice.

I'm currently awaiting followup with an orthopedic doc to review the CT scan that was taken a few days after the injury. Two weeks now after the fact, I'm getting a bit frisky and would like to explore options. I've done nothing but take the sling off, raise my arm no higher than shampooing my bald head, and go on vacation to the beach.

I've looked into the safety squat bar to get me back under the bar for squats; of course press is out, but could I explore doing bench and deadlifts with the bar and see how things feel? Or wait till further details with the ortho? My main question is whether I'll be limited from overhead movements only and am safe to explore other functions of the shoulder with downward and backward force.

Details: 48, M, 220lb, wonky left shoulder
    Programming: Andy's Stronger and Leaner at 45
    SQ: 280; PR: 155 (I'm counting it; I locked it out just fine :-)); DL: 350 (gym); BN 210.
    (So you can see, I have lots of improvement to make!)

I'm gonna go ahead and punt on this one. I don't like giving advice on injuries like this via the interwebs if possible. At 48, this is not a minor shoulder injury (not the end of the world either) but you really need to review the results of your testing with your orthpod first and get a reasonably certain diagnosis of what you have done before you start training again.

Following that I'd schedule a consult with Dr John Petrizzo (SSC and DPT) and hash out a strength program going forward.

I totally understand, Andy. Thank you.

For future searchers, after posting this, I found Coach Rip's video here, which helps provides some more information on a slightly different injury.

Shoulder rehab video is up