starting strength gym

Thread: Progressive overload via increased reps

An unforeseen future nestled somewhere in time.

Default Progressive overload via increased reps

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I tried to google the forum previous threads but wasnt able to find if this was discussed so please refer me to the thread if it was indeed discussed.

What are your thoughts about the following programming mode:
    do 3 sets of 5 for a weight X (5/5/5), then increase by one rep next work out for the first set. if able to do, increase by one rep to the next set and then the third, then repeat all over until you are able to do 10/10/10. add 5 lbs, reset, and try for 3 sets of 5 again.

any thoughts/previous experience with such programming mode?

Thanks and remember, just because you are behind a computer screen, you do not necessarily have to be a sarcastic jerk.
    Best wishes

Look up the article "5 ways to 5 x 5" by Andy Baker. There is a variation named independent sets if I remember right that works like that - the sets you reach 5 reps you bump the weight next workout, the sets you don't you try to reach more reps.

I've personally done that to presses and weighted chin ups and it worked pretty well.

It's called double progression and it works well for movements that are relatively untrained (or for people who are relatively untrained).

You can't add reps every workout to movements that are highly trained. That would represent an increase in performance of 2-3% depending on the rep range you're working in. This is not a sustainable rate of strength increase in most cases.

An unforeseen future nestled somewhere in time.

Luke and Tom, thanks so much for the article, and insight, respectively.