starting strength gym

Thread: High Volume/Low Intensity

Default High Volume/Low Intensity

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Andy,
    I am just beginning the transition from novice LP to intermediate. I plan on (somewhat) following the intermediate program listed on p.152 of PP.

Mon
    Intensity Bench (5RM)
    Volume Press (5x5 @ 90% 5RM)
    Chins (3 sets to failure)

Tues
    Intensity Squat (5RM)
    Volume Deads (not exactly sure what yet)

Thurs
    Intensity Press (5RM)
    Volume Bench (5x5 @ 90% 5RM)
    Chins (3 sets to failure)

Frid
    Intensity Deads (5RM)
    Volume Squat (5x5 @ 90% 5RM)

Where would this program fall on the strength/hypertrophy scale? If I wanted to bend the program more towards hypertrophy than strength (especially for upper body), how would I change it rep/set wise? Should I do higher rep sets (8-12) for volume days? Should I keep the 5RM intensity workouts? Plus, I am not really interested in adding in accessory lifts right now.

Thanks so much!

I'd just do higher rep back offs after your volume stuff. 2 x 8-12 are usually good on Press/Bench. You can also add volume by doing some Dips on your Press/Bench days and slide your chins over to your squat/deadlift days and get more volume on those as well. Throw in some arm work as time and energy allow

Thanks Andy! Sounds like a good plan. I do have one more question if you don't mind.

What has more of an impact on overall strengths games - the 5RM or the 5x5 @90%? I thought it was the 5RM but I also think I saw somewhere in PP that the 5x5 is more impactful. If the latter is the case, why even keep a 5RM set?

I run this program as well and am making very nice progress using a 3 week cycle of rotating rep ranges to get a combination of hypertrophy and strength and avoid burning out. Intensity lifts are cycled as 1x4, 2x2, 4x1 and volume lifts are cycled as 4x6, 4x5, 4x4 (sets x reps). I increase the weight 2-10lbs every cycle and try to keep intensity RPE between 9.5 and 10 and volume RPE between 8.5 and 9.0 on the last set. Deadlifts are the same rep scheme but only one set for both volume and intensity and I add RDL cycled at 3 x 10/8/6 to the deadlift volume workout. I also add in one accessory workout a week and do chins, curls, rows, dips etc on a 3 x 8-12 scheme for upper body hypertrophy. If i'm recovering well I do the 4 workout in a week but if I'm not recovering well I only do 3 workouts in a week (plus the accessory). Good luck I love this program!

Quote Originally Posted by csapaugh View Post
    Thanks Andy! Sounds like a good plan. I do have one more question if you don't mind.

What has more of an impact on overall strengths games - the 5RM or the 5x5 @90%? I thought it was the 5RM but I also think I saw somewhere in PP that the 5x5 is more impactful. If the latter is the case, why even keep a 5RM set?
    I rarely program with just a 5RM as the singular effort for a day. For heavy I'm more apt to use 2-3 x 2-3 or a 5RM with back off sets of 5.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffc View Post
    I run this program as well and am making very nice progress using a 3 week cycle of rotating rep ranges to get a combination of hypertrophy and strength and avoid burning out. Intensity lifts are cycled as 1x4, 2x2, 4x1 and volume lifts are cycled as 4x6, 4x5, 4x4 (sets x reps). I increase the weight 2-10lbs every cycle and try to keep intensity RPE between 9.5 and 10 and volume RPE between 8.5 and 9.0 on the last set. Deadlifts are the same rep scheme but only one set for both volume and intensity and I add RDL cycled at 3 x 10/8/6 to the deadlift volume workout. I also add in one accessory workout a week and do chins, curls, rows, dips etc on a 3 x 8-12 scheme for upper body hypertrophy. If i'm recovering well I do the 4 workout in a week but if I'm not recovering well I only do 3 workouts in a week (plus the accessory). Good luck I love this program!
    A good overall strategy