starting strength gym

Thread: HLM 3-2-1 heavy day Rotation

Default HLM 3-2-1 heavy day Rotation

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi ANdy you might be be able to solve this mystery on a "bad heavy day" I had yesterday.

Small background: 5'7 245lb heavy build intermediate on a recompositioning diet 3200kkcal 300carb/270pro/85fat losing body fat rapidly but weight about a 1pound per week.

HLM With triples rotating on heavy day as explained in practice programming

Everything has been moving smoothly past 5 weeks setting PRs at lower body weight.

Yesterday heavy day performed:

Squat 2x2 375! Easy!!!! Full depth got s nice rebound from my new mark bells Strong sleeves!! Really pleased

However on bench I was supposed to perform 5x1 singles of 220lb failed horribly so I did last weeks which was 215lb 2x2 ....using heavy 3/2/1 has been so successful for me on bench I don't know what happened...it could be that I over did volume by doing it at 90% 5x3

Now moved on to deadlifts after warming up tried 400lbx3 could not move the bar really strange considering I did a easy 390x3 last week what gives?

Yes my sleep hasn't been the best this week...I don't think that was a factor simply because the heavy squats where so easy?

Was it just a bad day for the other two lifts?

Many thanks Andy

I don't really know, man. It's hard to diagnose the exact cause of a singular bad workout. It may be that you're heavy days need to rotate between different types of heavy. Training at or above 90% week in and week out is difficult to do.

So maybe one week you go "heavy" in the 1-3 range and the next week you go "heavy" in the 80% range for more volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I don't really know, man. It's hard to diagnose the exact cause of a singular bad workout. It may be that you're heavy days need to rotate between different types of heavy. Training at or above 90% week in and week out is difficult to do.

So maybe one week you go "heavy" in the 1-3 range and the next week you go "heavy" in the 80% range for more volume.

So would something like this would work Andy?
    2 week rotation as you mentioned above...

Week1(Max effort heavy)
    Heavy day
    Squats 1x1-3 @90% or more +10lb
    Bench 1x1-3 @90% or more +5lb
    Deadlift 1x1-3 @90% or more +10lb

Light
    Squats 2x5 60-80% of maximum effort heavy
    Press 1x1-3 2x5 backoff
    Chins 3xf

Medium
    Squats 3x5 80% of maximum effort heavy
    Bench 3x5 80% of maximum effort heavy
    Power cleans 3x2

Week2 (volume Heavy)
    Heavy day
    Squats 3x5 85% of max effort heavy(week 1 heavy)
    Bench 3x5 85% of max effort heavy(week 1 heavy)
    Deadlift 1x5 85% of max effort heavy(week 1 heavy)

Light
    60-80%
    Press 1x1-3 2x5 backoff
    Chins

Medium
    Squats 3x5 90% of volume heavy
    Bench 3x5 90% of volume heavy
    Power cleans 3x2

Cheers Andy

Yes. I think that is a good layout. Give yourself a few cycles to tweak the exact % offset from week to week to keep the HLM relationship, but yeah, overall this is good