starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quadriceps weakness

Unhappy Quadriceps weakness

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, this is my first post. I'm Álvaro from Spain.

I own (and have read) PPFST, and I know the basics about lifting. These are my current PRs @ 80kg BW:

SQUATS - 120 kg x5
    BENCH PRESS - 100 kg x5
    DEADLIFT - 175 kg x5

I've been running the Texas Method for a long time and yet I think I have not exhausted it.

But I have a big squat problem, as you can see. I started doing BP and DL long before back squats, only because my former gym had no proper equipment. Also, I think my posterior chain is naturally stronger than my quads (this is just a sensation I have while lifting).

When squatting, I tend to fall into a good morning position, and I think this is due to quad weakness (short torso doesn't help either). First, I extend my legs and then I good-morning the weight. This only happens when I'm close to my limit. I can do it right with lighter weights.

I think I should focus on strengthening my quads with specific exercises, but I don't know how to do that while running the TM. Perhaps I could replace back squats with front squats for a couple of months?

Thanks.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

You'll need to explain a few things, because stuff isn't computing here.

(1) You've run the Texas Method "for a long time," but have a squat PR of 120kgx5?

(2) Why would falling into a good morning position be a symptom of quad weakness given your particular lifting history? How can you deadlift 175kgx5 but have quads too weak to squat 120kg? Especially since you acknowledge that you're able to extend your legs without issue.

(3) How do you know that you're doing a "squat-morning"? Have you videotaped yourself and watched it? Do you have a video we can see?

The quadriceps are responsible for extending your knee, they do not control your back angle. Reactive Training Systems just did a podcast about the chest falling at the bottom of the squat with SSC Mike Tuchscherer and SSC Rori Alter (DPT) - Episode 41 Chest Fall in the Squat and How to Fix It.
    Last edited by Leanne M. Lloyd; 04-24-2017 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    (1) You've run the Texas Method "for a long time," but have a squat PR of 120kgx5?
    Well, by "a long time" I meant like a year or more (I don't remember), not a decade. I know that number is low, that is why I'm asking for help.

(2) Why would falling into a good morning position be a symptom of quad weakness given your particular lifting history? How can you deadlift 175kgx5 but have quads too weak to squat 120kg? Especially since you acknowledge that you're able to extend your legs without issue.
    I think this article describes my problem:

Fixing the Good-Morning Squat ? Stronger by Science

When your quads are weak, your butt will shoot right up out of the hole without your shoulders moving much – getting knee extension out of the way without much of a change in center of gravity – taking your quads out of the equation and shifting the load to the muscles that are already strong, and putting you in a GM position. Strengthen your quads, and they can pull their own weight, allowing you to stay a little more upright so you won’t have such a tendency to round forward with heavy weight.

(3) How do you know that you're doing a "squat-morning"? Have you videotaped yourself and watched it? Do you have a video we can see?
    You'll have to trust me on this, I don't have a video at the moment. But I feel it hapenning and people around me also noticed.

Perhaps there is something wrong with my form (and yet I have watched every form video on Youtube), but then again that's why I'm asking for help.

I should also mention that I have a runner's knee problem. I don't know if that breaks my form.

Quote Originally Posted by raivyne View Post
    The quadriceps are responsible for extending your knee, they do not control your back angle.
    Could you take a look at this article?:

Fixing the Good-Morning Squat ? Stronger by Science

Specially this:

When your quads are weak, your butt will shoot right up out of the hole without your shoulders moving much – getting knee extension out of the way without much of a change in center of gravity – taking your quads out of the equation and shifting the load to the muscles that are already strong, and putting you in a GM position. Strengthen your quads, and they can pull their own weight, allowing you to stay a little more upright so you won’t have such a tendency to round forward with heavy weight.

My gym coach (who is, sorry to say this, a douchebag) keeps telling me that I should stay more upright and that would sky-rocket my squats, given my deadlift numbers. But when I ask him how I do that, he remains silent and walks away.

I squat with my bar over my shoulder blades, with my feet sligthly more apart than my friends' and with my feet pointing out. I keep my head low.

Also, I know all about the valsalva maneuver.
    Last edited by AlvaroMartinez; 04-24-2017 at 09:58 AM.

That doesn't make any sense to me... but who am I to question "science"?

I also have a tendency for my hips to rise faster than my chest, but it is not a quad weakness...

IMO you most likely have a technical problem with your squat and you need to post videos and have your form critiqued if you want informed opinions. I also suggest you watch the podcast that I referenced... perhaps your problem is different than what they are speaking about, but we don't know without a video to look at.
    Last edited by Leanne M. Lloyd; 04-25-2017 at 07:08 AM.

Age? Height?

Most young males are squatting well over 120kgx5 by the time they are done with novice LP. The fact that you say you've been doing TM for a year and are still squatting that little doesn't sound right at all.

That "analysis" makes no sense given the mechanics of how the hip and knee musculature works. It is bro-science.

If the knee can extend under heavy load, how is it that the quadriceps are somehow weak as they primarily work to extend the knee?

No, we're not going to just "trust you." The SSCs hear this complaint all the time and have the experience to say that it just doesn't happen. Do you know what an actual good morning looks like?

starting strength coach development program
    There is a lot of hostility floating here? I just want to improve my squats, but you make it look as if I'm personally offending you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast