starting strength gym

Thread: Tweaked neck on OHP - how to proceed?

Default Tweaked neck on OHP - how to proceed?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Weight: 194.2 (trending up)
    Press 182.5 for singles
    Bench Press: 272.5 3x2

Currently on the 4-day Texas method split:
    Monday: Press Intensity/Bench Intensity
    Tuesday: Squat Intensity/Deadlift Intensity
    Wed: Rest
    Thursday: Press Volume/Bench Volume
    Friday: Squat volume/Power clean

Today I was training press at 182.5 for a planned five singles. The first two went up easily with no sticking point. On the third single, I either lost concentration or ran out of steam and failed to get underneath the bar quick enough. I was grinding for quite awhile and managed to eventually finish the rep. After racking the bar I realized I tweaked my neck: it hurts to turn to turn my neck to either side. I attempted to finish through the singles, but the pain was too distracting and failed to finish the last two singles. I managed to do two back off sets at 160 2x4 hoping to get enough volume.

My question is: should i reattempt the same weight on next week's intensity day, move up to 185, or do I go to the next phase of "running it out" and rotate rep ranges each week from 3s, 2s, and1s?

If you got your bench intensity and end up getting the volume on Thursday, I'd go ahead and hit the 185. If one or another of these goes awry, than you'll need to repeat or run it out. Presses are tough, but if everything else is going up, this shouldn't be too big an issue.

Double check your form and make sure something goofy hasn't crept in there that may have contributed to the tweak.

Thanks for the feedback. I was able to get my bench intensity on Monday at 272.5 for three doubles. (I've been surprised how long doubles have been lasting for bench intensity)

72 hours later my neck is all healed. I was able to get through my volume day. PR - 146 5 x 5, BP - 218 5 x 5 and CGBP 195 - 3 x 8, on 4 hours sleep.

I'll be attempting 185 on Monday, hopefully all goes well.

Chris, I'm pretty sure it will. Looks like you're already making progress just since the meet in Oakland!

How's your deadlift moving?

Did it go away? I have tweaked my neck a few times while pressing and it usually goes away after a few days.

starting strength coach development program
    It went away in 72 hours. I made all 5 of the singles on 5/1/17 and attempted 187.5 the following week. The bar would not get any further than eye level so I have now switched programming to phase 3 for the press for a three week SRA cycle.
    My last successful triple in my log was 165, so I started the process at 167.5 for triples and I will be attempting 177.5 for doubles and then attempt 187.5 for singles, then repeat +2.5lbs.

Jeff, after the meet I've been running an LP again for the DL and SQ and i'm still adding weight to the bar every workout. Currently at 350 for deads and 315 for squats.