starting strength gym

Thread: Questions about HLM pressing movements programming

Default Questions about HLM pressing movements programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    In the General Strength Training or Powerlifting HLM template in PPST3 p.163 the pressing movements are initially programmed as follows:

Bench 5x5
    Press 3x5
    CGBP 3x5

I was just wondering why press isn't also done for 5x5 in order to train the movements equally? I realize that it is a light day, but presses are a light exercise anyway...

My question here is: Does the decreased weight used in the press not provide enough of a reduction in stress on it's own to use it as a light day pressing movement without reducing the volume as well? (If altering the volume IS necessary, why not program CGBP for 4x5 to make it fit the medium slot better?) OR... is it just that this particular version of the program is geared more towards powerlifting than general strength training.

Second question: How does the following pressing program look as a way of purely increasing general strength using HLM:

Bench 5x5
    Press 5x5
    Incline Bench (or something similar) 5x5

Obviously rep ranges would be "run out" or cycled etc. so 5x5 wouldn't be used forever. My idea is just to keep the volume equal, and use the exercise as the thing which defines whether the day is heavy, medium or light.

Thanks!

Because your focus is on the BP, not the PR, thus the decreased emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Because your focus is on the BP, not the PR, thus the decreased emphasis.
    How would you program it to have equal emphasis on the Bench and the Press? Would the template I suggested be ok?

Bench 5x5
    Press 5x5
    Incline Bench (or something similar) 5x5

I've been running this template for a while and didn't like to ratio of bench to press either (my press wasn't going anywhere and front delt doesn't like CGBP) so I have started rotating bench/press like texas method. My shoulders like it better.