starting strength gym

Thread: Early intermediate programming/thoughts on TM?

Default Early intermediate programming/thoughts on TM?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I started lifting about 11 months ago. In that time I've done SL 5x5 and then switched to a weekly linear progression program from Jonny Candito.

Some info about me: Male, 32 years old, stressfulish job. My lifts are Squat: 225/102 Bench 150/68 DL 245/111

Anyhow, I recently started TM. I started with volume day doing ascending sets on squats and bench. It felt hard but not terrible. Intensity day was fun, going for 1x5 at the weights I listed above. I made, what I realize now to be, a huge mistake and also began a cut at the same time. I went to a 500kcal deficit to lose some fat. Changing so many variables at once, i.e. the training volume and nutrition was really stupid. So yesterday after just a week and half doing TM, my body shat all over me. I felt like I had a virus...chills, lethargic, achy...the works. I've never before had an issue with recovery.

My question: is TM, perhaps with some modifications, feasible to do if I go back to maintenance or perhaps a surplus or should I look for other programming? Does a program like TM simply require too much in terms of being 100% with sleep + nutrition?

I am likely going to stop TM and continue my cut, lifting submaximal weights for 6-8 weeks, working my way back up to my 5rm for each lift. But after that, I'd like to start a reasonable program that will work for an early intermediate lifter. Any general advice would be greatly appreciated.

Heavy-Light-Medium programs work well on a cut. So if Monday is your Heavy-Day you can basically eat in a fairly large deficit on Tuesday through Saturday. On Sunday you will substantially up your carbs and calories in prep for you Monday heavy day. You can keep calories up on Monday or start to taper them down a bit. But the key is keeping your deficit going Tues-Saturday while you train with lighter weights.

Check out my GGW program here. Its an HLM program: Garage Gym Warrior ? Andy Baker

Doesn't those lifts sound a little low to move to an intermediate program?

Maybe, but people move to intermediate programming all the time before fully exhausting an LP. If you are trying to lose weight you can't run an LP at the same time so you become a "situational intermediate."

My job is not to determine peoples goals for them.