starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Move to Texas Method or Stick with Advanced Novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    You switch to intermediate programming once you can no longer sustain linear progression despite decent form, proper time between sets, proper recovery, and proper weight jumps. The book recommends switching after 3 resets...though I think usually you can figure out that you're hitting a wall earlier than that.

You may be there, you may not. But don't let the weight on the bar be your guide, because everyone transitions at a different time. Candidly, I think just from experience that you probably have a little more left, but I also am not monitoring your training and recovery practices personally, so you may in fact be ready.

Out of curiosity, why the Texas Method?
    Thank you for the response.

Since Starting Strength novice LP worked so well for me I would like to continue with LP as long as I can and the Texas Method seems like the next logical step. The program also appeals to me. I like the idea of getting the volume out of the way in the beginning of the week, having an active recovery day where I can throw in some focused back work, and then going for a new PR every Friday on multiple lifts.

Why not TM? Do you think there is a better approach to take?
    Last edited by DeadliftsForDave; 04-28-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: forgot to say thank you for the original response

Quote Originally Posted by DeadliftsForDave View Post
    Why not TM? Do you think there is a better approach to take?
    HLM until you can't make weekly progress anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    Out of curiosity, why the Texas Method?
    Why does TM get so much hate?

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Why does TM get so much hate?
    Totally agree. if you consider TM a template similar to HLM. Not sure why it can't be tweaked to be useful for a while. I've had 2 good runs of progress since I became an intermediate and a bunch of shitty runs/stalls. Both my good runs were on a modified TM: 4 day split; 4x5 Volume Day Squats; additional heavy pulling on volume days (rack pulls or haltings); added a bunch of supplemental press days; and recently doing it on a 9 day cycle, not 7 day. I lost the genetic lottery badly....and have awful recovery (3 kids, demand job + 50% travel, and all the life stress of being in your forties....) yet, I am still progressing on TM. then again, my overall numbers aren't anything to brag about...so who knows.

While my program is heavily modified, it believe it still follows the spirit of TM: 4x5 Squats followed by an Intensity day a few days later. 5x5 Press\Bench followed by an Intensity day a few days later.

Quote Originally Posted by entering40strongerthan20 View Post
    Totally agree. if you consider TM a template similar to HLM. Not sure why it can't be tweaked to be useful for a while. I've had 2 good runs of progress since I became an intermediate and a bunch of shitty runs/stalls. Both my good runs were on a modified TM: 4 day split; 4x5 Volume Day Squats; additional heavy pulling on volume days (rack pulls or haltings); added a bunch of supplemental press days; and recently doing it on a 9 day cycle, not 7 day. I lost the genetic lottery badly....and have awful recovery (3 kids, demand job + 50% travel, and all the life stress of being in your forties....) yet, I am still progressing on TM. then again, my overall numbers aren't anything to brag about...so who knows.

While my program is heavily modified, it believe it still follows the spirit of TM: 4x5 Squats followed by an Intensity day a few days later. 5x5 Press\Bench followed by an Intensity day a few days later.
    I think the argument is that sure, it can work, but there are better options.

Quote Originally Posted by entering40strongerthan20 View Post

Yeah man I think Jordan Feigenbaum wrote an article suggesting pretty much what you're doing right now and calling it a "modified TM".

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerDog View Post
    I think the argument is that sure, it can work, but there are better options.
    Like what?

Yeah man I think Jordan Feigenbaum wrote an article suggesting pretty much what you're doing right now and calling it a "modified TM".

Like what?
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...thod-suck.html

There's a lot in there

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerDog View Post
    So does the Texas method suck?

There's a lot in there
    Summary - that some people like DUP over TM, and that some people like and don't like vanilla TM.

Prominent details -
    That TM volume day should be properly managed, that the right demographic should only use TM, and that the volume set-up makes no sense.

I have yet to see a compelling argument against TM other than "it's old", "it's only for a certain demographic" and 'DUP helps you make more gainzzz' based on a coach's client data. I'm not saying there isn't a compelling argument against it, I'm just saying I didn't really see one in that post.

A factor that would be compelling might be: TM results vs DUP results in similar populations. Wouldn't even need to be specific. I think if your making the 5-2.5 lb jumps every week, isn't that the point?

A factor that would be compelling might be: TM results vs DUP results in similar populations. Wouldn't even need to be specific. I think if your making the 5-2.5 lb jumps every week, isn't that the point?
    The point against TM was, that compared to other weekly programs/templates (HLM, DUP etc.) it requires significantly more resources for the same results (2.5-5 lb/wk), with vanilla TM being the worst offender.

starting strength coach development program
    Wouldn't even need to be specific. I think if your making the 5-2.5 lb jumps every week, isn't that the point?
    It's really odd how many times this was emphasized yet still ignored. While a trainee can still make 5 lbs per week, he should, but it's silly to call him an "intermediate." That 5 lbs per week eventually stops. At that point, actual stimulus variation (as opposed to limited volume/intensity variation) is better for prolonged progress. Generally, that honeymoon period will be long enough for the right population that it's worthwhile, and not really long enough for anyone else, and generally not worthwhile for most people in the upper body lifts.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast