starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Move to Texas Method or Stick with Advanced Novice

Default Move to Texas Method or Stick with Advanced Novice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Mr Rippetoe,

It would be an honor to have you answer this question for me. I am stuck in a place of indecision as far as my programming is concerned. I need to have someone validate for me if I am truly ready for Texas Method. I have reset my squat twice, stalled on deadlift several times, stalling currently on bench and OH Press. Clean is still going up though and I can keep making progress on my squat, but it seems to be weekly or biweekly 5lb jumps.

Current programing is Advanced Novice LP as written in your texts

Stats:
    Age - 26
    Weight - 188 lbs
    Started Novice LP December 5th, 2016 (previously a bro split kind of guy) after an umbilical hernia repair (doctor said I could resume weightlifting)

Starting Working weights (lbs):
    -Squat 135
    -Bench 135
    -Deadlift 225
    -OH Press 105
    -Powerclean 135
    -Chinups, Bodyweight

Current Working weights (lbs):
    -Squat 305
    -Bench 225
    -Deadlift 365
    -OH Press 160
    -Powerclean 190
    -Weighted Chinups (+70lbs)

This is my first post and I hope that it is appropriate for this section.

With thanks,
    Dave

Forgot to add that I am 6'0'' to my stats
    Q1: Rest between working sets is 3min to 8min. Obviously when things are going well and I am feeling strong it is more towards 3 minutes, but when things are getting hard rest times approach 8 minutes.
    Q2: So how I increase weight. If I get 3x5 on Squat, I increase 5lbs for next workout (I do my normal 3x5 Monday and Friday, on Wed I do a 2x5 at 80% mondays working weight), If i get 3x5 on press and bench I increase 2.5lbs for next workout. If i get 5x3 on Power cleans I increase 5lbs for next workout. If I get a new 5RM on deadlift I increase 10lbs for next workout.
    Q3: I eat between 3,000-4,000 calories every day

You should re-read the book man. All these questions are answered in there. You'll find even more info in "Practical Programming for Strength Training 3rd edition". Any rest time under 7-8 minutes is too short, no matter what you feel like in the moment. Start with 7 and increase as needed. Expect to increase.

What told you to increase 10lbs on the deadlift for each session? Again, correct answer is in the book, but increasing your deadlift load uses the same rules as the squat.

6' 188 lbs is still kinda underweight. There's no black and white answer for your calorie intake. Some guys need 6,000+ calories to gain weight. I would shoot for 200+ at the very least. What was your starting weight? And did you drink a gallon of milk a day like the program said?

I have ordered Practical Programming, it should arrive in a few days. I have only read Starting Strength thus far.

Quote from the Ripp himself in reference to deadlift weight jumps
    "I'd rather see a novice jump 10 lbs. less frequently than 5 lbs. more frequently, since we've noted that deadlift stress is more profound."
    Source: http://startingstrength.com/resource...p/t-14727.html

Starting Weight was 175, around 12-15% bodyfat.
    Now I am 188 and haven't noticed any bodyfat increase
    No, I have never drank a gallon of milk in a day. However, some days I have done a half gallon but all my calories are basically from meat, vegetables, fruit and rice/potatoes.

Ill increase my rest time and caloric intake but overall I feel like I'm approaching that intermediate phase. I just don't know what would be the definitive criteria as to when to switch to Texas Method.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadliftsForDave View Post
    Q3: I eat between 3,000-4,000 calories every day
    Do you track that on an app, or are you estimating? That is a big range.

Yes, you can increase the deadlift by 10 lbs a session for the first couple of sessions; but that runs out pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Do you track that on an app, or are you estimating? That is a big range.
    I track on an app but I do some estimation because I'm not trying to live a life where I carry around a food scale and get all crazy about it. I do make sure I hit 3,000 on non strength training days, and I make sure to hit 4,000 when I strength train.

Does anyone have knowledge on the criteria for when to switch to Texas Method?
    Do my numbers look right?
    Specifically I have 2 stalls on squats, 3 on Deadlifts (yes I will switch to 5lb jumps), and am currently hitting the wall on the press and bench ( 2.5 lb jumps). Clean is still going up.
    With squats on Mondays I usually fail a couple reps in the second and third working sets, then when I attempt the weight again on Friday I have been getting all 3 sets (I do a light squat day on Wednesdays 2x5)

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadliftsForDave View Post
    Does anyone have knowledge on the criteria for when to switch to Texas Method?
    Do my numbers look right?
    You switch to intermediate programming once you can no longer sustain linear progression despite decent form, proper time between sets, proper recovery, and proper weight jumps. The book recommends switching after 3 resets...though I think usually you can figure out that you're hitting a wall earlier than that.

You may be there, you may not. But don't let the weight on the bar be your guide, because everyone transitions at a different time. Candidly, I think just from experience that you probably have a little more left, but I also am not monitoring your training and recovery practices personally, so you may in fact be ready.

Out of curiosity, why the Texas Method?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast