starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Texas Method Heavy Rep Scheme Question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    You can do 4s before triples. Squats and pulls are independent, so you don't have to switch just because of squats. But it's a good idea to switch before failure, rather than because of it.
    Better to "skip a rep" (5-->3-->1) to get more of a break mentally and physically. I think this is explained in PPST3.

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    Dude are you really doing one single heavy rep a week? An early intermediate can do a lot more . One triple I understand, but usually you try to get 4-6 heavy reps in total (not counting back offs).
    Agreed... 1-3 working deadlift reps per week is ridiculous. Even 5, really...

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Agreed... 1-3 working deadlift reps per week is ridiculous. Even 5, really...
    Double agree. 1x5 -> 2x3 -> 3x2 -> 5x1 if you want to cycle rep ranges. I had decent success with back-off sets for deadlifts, post top set.

Quote Originally Posted by chromoly View Post
    Double agree. 1x5 -> 2x3 -> 3x2 -> 5x1 if you want to cycle rep ranges. I had decent success with back-off sets for deadlifts, post top set.
    Yes, if I did a triple or a double and I felt like there could be no way I could complete another one, then I would do a back-off set of 5 instead. Same with singles, I found that at close to 1RM I could get at best 2 or 3, let alone 5, so I didn't even try to do 5 singles.

starting strength coach development program
    In regards to DL volume (i.e., a triple or a set of 5 enough on DL ID).... One factor not discussed is what you are doing for your Non Deadlift pulling days. I was doing a set of 5 on DL, now tapered to a triple. But on my squat volume day I alternate between Halting Dls (set of 8) and Rack Pulls (heavy set of 5). Both of these are significantly heavier than Power Cleans would be for me. I know this is not traditional TM anymore...but this has helped put some weight on my DL ID. Not sure I could do a backoff set without tipping into under recovery. However...I am 41 and have horrible recovery...so I have to really manage it regardless.
    Last edited by Randy Scheingold; 05-03-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12