starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Late Intermediate Program

Default Late Intermediate Program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm currently LP'ing back from a 6 week layoff, looking for the program I'll move to once I get back into PR territory. After running pretty basic Practical Programming type programs in the past (the most complicated I got was an 8/5/2 cycle adding 5 or 2.5 lbs. per cycle), I was thinking of moving to the Jordan F. general strength program described here:

General Strength Training Template for the Intermediate/Advanced | Barbell Medicine

I'm 33 years old, 6'0 215lbs. My squat will be in the 405-425x5x3 range when I move, bench will be around 300x5x3, and deadlift will be about 450x5. My number one goal at this point is to squat 500. I've been at this for about 4.5 years, so progress has been slow, but steady.

My main question is, am I advanced enough for this type of program. In the past, I've gotten valuable feedback from this forum asking this question. And as a follow-up, any advice for someone moving from a "add 5 lbs. to last time" to an RPE based program for the first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerqb12 View Post
    My main question is, am I advanced enough for this type of program. In the past, I've gotten valuable feedback from this forum asking this question. And as a follow-up, any advice for someone moving from a "add 5 lbs. to last time" to an RPE based program for the first time?
    Your numbers are the numbers I'd expect to see from a 6' 215 pound "advanced intermediate". I'd guess your deadlift 5RM is actually a bit higher than 450x5 (but has been masked by squat fatigue).

Also: if you get to a 425x5x3 squat, I'd think you'd be just about at a 500# squat 1RM.

Anyway, yeah, I think you're probably legitimately ready for more complicated programming.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    If you did 425:3*5, you're damn close to 500.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Also: if you get to a 425x5x3 squat, I'd think you'd be just about at a 500# squat 1RM.
    Look at that. Our shared thoughts crossed on the webz.

Dammit...I better squat 500 this year...

When I hit 425x5 across last time, I also hit 480 that same cycle. I probably had 485, maybe 490 in me. So I know I've been close, I just need to get there. Who are some of the non-SS coaches you like?

Your numbers are the numbers I'd expect to see from a 6' 215 pound "advanced intermediate". I'd guess your deadlift 5RM is actually a bit higher than 450x5 (but has been masked by squat fatigue).

Anyway, yeah, I think you're probably legitimately ready for more complicated programming.
    Thanks John. Last time I posted one of these, your advice really helped me identify some issues (I was 190 back then, and you described me as "under-muscled"). I've put about 80 lbs. on my squat since then. I appreciate the input.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Dammit...I better squat 500 this year...
    I've said this to myself each year for probably the past 3 years.

What is a good resource for learning how block periodization actually works and how to set it up correctly? The Bompa / Issurin books?

Tell you what, that KOTJ guy knows a thing or tow, about a thing or two!

My best results so far are with a new guy.

When I met him, he didn't really squat or bench, but had done pressing stuff and deadlifted 500 as a true one rep max. Hit 507 at his first meet. He has 3 days a week to lift and has hectic schedule (EMT and school). Late 20s, 5'10", 200lb.

Confident in saying his squat 1rm in January would be 490, bench 290. Highest numbers were 275 bench and 470 squat.

Recent PRs as we taper:

Squat 510*1@8, week later 535*@10...overshot RPE

2ct bench 340*1@9

Pulled 545*1@8; 555*1@9-9.5

I started out giving people too much volume with too much intensity.
    Care to give a rough outline of what you've had him doing for the last 4 months? Full on hypertrophy - strength - peaking phases a la block periodization? Or something else?

Thanks for all the great input. I went ahead and started with Jordan's Intermediate program, and will run it (both parts) at least once. Because this is my first run with an RPE type program, could I get some objective input on my stated RPEs from my first workout:

This was supposed to be @9. I think it's probably closer to @8, but I this was the first time I did the exercise, and wanted to err on the side of caution.

This was supposed to be @8.

Just trying to learn how to objectively look at my bar speed and assign an appropriate RPE.

starting strength coach development program
    [paused squat]

This was supposed to be @9. I think it's probably closer to @8, but I this was the first time I did the exercise, and wanted to err on the side of caution.
    Looks more like an @8. Paused work is hard to judge, IMO. The fatigue creeps up fast if you are doing legit pauses.

[comp bench]

This was supposed to be @8.
    Looks right. Depends how well you can grind...

Just trying to learn how to objectively look at my bar speed and assign an appropriate RPE.
    Bar speed can help, but RPE is a function of more than just that. Subjective feel and technical breakdown should be considered also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast