starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Late Intermediate Program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Bar speed can help, but RPE is a function of more than just that. Subjective feel and technical breakdown should be considered also.
    That makes sense. I'm so used to doing most everything in the 9-10 range that anything less feels like warm-up weight. It's good to know that I'm not too far off. I think I'll be able to dial it in relatively quickly over the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Your numbers are the numbers I'd expect to see from a 6' 215 pound "advanced intermediate". I'd guess your deadlift 5RM is actually a bit higher than 450x5 (but has been masked by squat fatigue).

Also: if you get to a 425x5x3 squat, I'd think you'd be just about at a 500# squat 1RM.

Anyway, yeah, I think you're probably legitimately ready for more complicated programming.
    In that case, wtf am i doing on this intermediate program. Im going back to LP till I can match these numbers. Im 6'0.5" and 232 and not near this.

Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post
    In that case, wtf am i doing on this intermediate program. Im going back to LP till I can match these numbers. Im 6'0.5" and 232 and not near this.
    He said advanced intermediate, not advanced novice. And everyone is going to be different. Some can run LP to a 600 squat, others to 300. Programming should match the rate at which you can recover and make progress, not based on any specific weights lifted.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    He said advanced intermediate, not advanced novice. And everyone is going to be different. Some can run LP to a 600 squat, others to 300. Programming should match the rate at which you can recover and make progress, not based on any specific weights lifted.
    Pffft. I wish my LP squat hit 300. I crashed at 275 3x5 (6'1", age 30, 192lb at that time) before I had to switch to HLM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Pffft. I wish my LP squat hit 300. I crashed at 275 3x5 (6'1", age 30, 192lb at that time) before I had to switch to HLM.
    I was talking about 1RMs. I'm sure you could've done 300x1. Anyway, those were just generic numbers. Most guys who aren't really small/light/old/injured will be able to hit a 300x1 squat at the end of LP. Brian Fox hit a 600x1. Maybe there are others who have taken it further.

starting strength coach development program
    I actually think I could run the novice LP and set new 5RMs on my squat even today.

It's just that in process of doing that everything else would go to utter shit: work capacity would be near zero again, would be lucky to maintain my bench, my deadlift would legitimately decrease, and I'd have to accept gaining fat at an exorbitant rate. I'd probably set some ridiculous OHP PRs, though. Because I don't train that lift.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12