starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift 1x5 = Squat 3x5???

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    The "deadlift should be ahead of your squat so I'm going to monkey with progression on one or the other" is one of the top ten stupid things novices say (along with "I think I might have been 1/2" high on my squats so I'm doing another 50% reset").

It's a general guideline of where most people end up, not a hard and fast rule of "you must be DL'ing more than you squat at all points in your linear progression." Also remember: if you are doing the standard novice program you are deadlifting after you've already done three heavy sets of squats. Your lower back is probably pretty tired at that point anyway. If you were to work up to a 5 RM DL max at the start of a week you'd probably find it's quite a bit higher than the fatigued one you're doing at the end of a workout.

Quote Originally Posted by brkriete View Post
    The "deadlift should be ahead of your squat so I'm going to monkey with progression on one or the other" is one of the top ten stupid things novices say (along with "I think I might have been 1/2" high on my squats so I'm doing another 50% reset").
    This should be written in stone somewhere. If not, I guess a sticky will do!
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 05-11-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    For what it's worth, my squat and deadlift were very close to each other for a while...they may even have been exactly equal. The main reason was twofold: (1) I have small hands, which makes the deadlift a harder lift for me, and (2) my form was a little off. Eventually they widened. Now my deadlift is about 40 lbs ahead of the squat.

Everyone has a different ratio. Some people can deadlift more than 100 lbs their squat. Others have pretty close squats and deadlifts. There's really no hard and fast rule as to what the ratio should be. As long as the lifts are progressing and you're getting stronger, 'sall good, man.
    My squat was ahead of my deadlift until this last year. I blame 1/2 of it on assuming the deadlift is a good grip exercise and the other 1/2 on assuming one set of deadlifts a week is sufficient stimulus for progress.

Turns out the deadlift is a shit grip exercise and a single set of 5 a week is really, really suboptimal deadlift programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    My squat was ahead of my deadlift until this last year. I blame 1/2 of it on assuming the deadlift is a good grip exercise and the other 1/2 on assuming one set of deadlifts a week is sufficient stimulus for progress.

Turns out the deadlift is a shit grip exercise and a single set of 5 a week is really, really suboptimal deadlift programming.
    Is it suboptimal for a novice, though? Once a week took me to 390x5 (and I only missed reps once), but I'm not stupid enough to think resetting will get me much farther. Taking 1x5 once to a 4-plate+ e1RM seems pretty efficient to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    Is it suboptimal for a novice, though? Once a week took me to 390x5 (and I only missed reps once), but I'm not stupid enough to think resetting will get me much farther. Taking 1x5 once to a 4-plate+ e1RM seems pretty efficient to me.
    Anything works for a novice though, yeah?

Tried deadlifting without shoes? My impression is most people deadlift better without oly shoes. Not that this will equal much weight on the bar, but I can picture <5% difference from it.

Hi Cody, So what is a more reasonable amount of deadlift volume/intensity? I realize everyone will respond differently, but in your experience what is a reasonable range? One heavy top set followed by a couple of backoff sets once per week?

Quote Originally Posted by IcePack View Post
    Hi Cody, So what is a more reasonable amount of deadlift volume/intensity? I realize everyone will respond differently, but in your experience what is a reasonable range? One heavy top set followed by a couple of backoff sets once per week?
    Really depends on training advancement and overall programming, but that's a fine start.

Anything works for a novice though, yeah?
    Yeah, but is there programming that is going to result in faster deadlift progress than 5 lbs. a week for a mid/late novice?

That said, what doesn't make sense to me is trying to grind out LP when you're missing reps every other workout. That's where I'm at the past few weeks.

I'm either going to rotate to a triple + backoffs, or reset and do a 5 + backoffs. Not sure which is better.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post

That said, what doesn't make sense to me is trying to grind out LP when you're missing reps every other workout. That's where I'm at the past few weeks.

I'm either going to rotate to a triple + backoffs, or reset and do a 5 + backoffs. Not
    I had a long run of additional novice progress by dropping to 2x5. But I am oldish.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast