starting strength gym

Thread: Just bought GGW, when to start?

Default Just bought GGW, when to start?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Andy,

Thanks for writing GGW and making it available to those of us who are a little intimidated by intermediate programming. I'm looking forward to starting.

Right now I feel like I'm in a weird transition:

• Worked squat up to 320 before I failed, reset (probably too much), and now feel a little detrained
    • Deadlift just hit 385. Messy and I'm not sure if it's going to keep going on LP
    • Just hit 250 on bench but form is questionable
    • Failed on press at 155, reset and working my way back up
    • Note: these weights are all 3x5 work sets

Basically I'm not sure if I should try to get my squat and press back to where they were before I reset, or should I just test my 1RM and get going on GGW? Thanks.

Stats:
    • Male
    • Height: 5'-9"
    • Weight: 225
    • Running SSLP for about 6 months with some form and injury resets or stalls

Hard to say but resetting over and over again on LP doesn't work. You have a window of time to make the thing work and then you gotta move on. Whether you did it all right or not doesn't matter too much. Your body just won't respond to that style of programming for eternity. I see guys on this board that have been trying to run the LP for like 2+ years. Always injured, never stronger.

I understand. I think I will do a medium/light week to get rid of some fatigue, test my 1RMs the next week, and start GGW. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Hard to say but resetting over and over again on LP doesn't work. You have a window of time to make the thing work and then you gotta move on. Whether you did it all right or not doesn't matter too much. Your body just won't respond to that style of programming for eternity. I see guys on this board that have been trying to run the LP for like 2+ years. Always injured, never stronger.
    For a guy that has had a bad month in terms of eating due to stomach issues I've been progressing very slowly and stalling a lot. I've basically been maintaining for the past month or two because of this. I'm slowly getting my diet back in check and finding what food I can eat that won't cause issues. In this case, would you say I still have a window of time for my LP as long as I eat more food? I'm at 6' and 190 lbs. Sq: 260 , Dead: 270, Bench: 155, Press: 110.

How long in total have you been running the LP?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    How long in total have you been running the LP?
    Since January. The past two months I've made very little progress due to me not eating enough. I've stayed at around 185-190 for the last two months.

If you have digestive issues that limit food consumption then you become a situational intermediate and need to follow programming that is less aggressive than the LP. GGW is a good program for this

Okay thanks, I'll take a look. I'm guessing I should switch back to an LP once I get my digestive issue back on track.

Forgot to mention, I'm 23 if that matters.

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe. See how you do on an intermediate HLM plan first.