starting strength gym
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlifting Programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Oh. Cool. I'll work on this over the weekend (need to slog through a backlog of work). All your questions are excellent, and despite self-identifying as a strength-engineer, my honest answer to most of them is "I don't know". My answers will be largely based on instinct or "soft data". I also have no idea what "valid deduction" looks like in the realm of biomechanics and strength training...so no pretense of logic.

If you're okay with this ^, I'd love to try this experiment out. I'll do it with you (edit: this sounded gayer then I meant it to).
    Che, just check out the "program" first. "Snuggle time" is NOT part of the density set prorocol, no matter what Hanley tells you. He's crafty.

Eh. When it comes to HTMU behavior, I think we're rapidly approaching the limit to what is actually known. Which is annoying.

But, somewhere around 80ish% load, I actually do think you're recruiting just about everything. On every rep. Twitch rates won't be the same as max effort (unless you perform some scary ballistic rep)...but pretty close I'd think.

I'm certainly at the limit of what I know about HTMU recruitment...so maybe shut-up time for me. It's a really interesting subject, though.
    If we didn't talk out of our asses like we were experts, the Internet would die a quiet death.

But, more importantly, are you going to commit to this challenge so that I can set my sights on defeating my psuedo-arch-nemesis in a competition no one else cares about? And don't hide behind the "I'm coaching my champion" defense. We all know Chebass is actually just a friendly grizzly bear who managed to grow opposable thumbs. He could press 500 if we gave him enough picnic baskets to interest him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Che, just check out the "program" first. "Snuggle time" is NOT part of the density set prorocol, no matter what Hanley tells you. He's crafty.

But, more importantly, are you going to commit to this challenge so that I can set my sights on defeating my psuedo-arch-nemesis in a competition no one else cares about? And don't hide behind the "I'm coaching my champion" defense. We all know Chebass is actually just a friendly grizzly bear who managed to grow opposable thumbs. He could press 500 if we gave him enough picnic baskets to interest him.
    Was this addressed to me? I'm definitely in. I've wanted to do a density block-based program for pressing for a while now. And thanks for the high praise!

@ Hanley - if you are interested, PM me your paypal info & cost. I don't particularly like the idea of someone creating a program for free, even if it IS an experiment. Or several tins of Squadron Leader, if that works better.

On further review, there are a few constraints / additional information that may be of help:
    - Time available for training: 4x60 minute sessions per week. Training days M, T, R, Sa.
    - One full session devoted to the deadlift (and occasionally sit-ups when I convince my fat ass to do them). Deadlift programming is 8-12 sets of doubles at ~80%, 2-3 minutes between sets. I don't want to change this. Deadlifts need to be done on Saturday or Sunday (I get grief at work about putting heavy weights down)
    - Would programming on any other lift need to change to accommodate the Density block press program?

- Let me know what data you would like to see / have me include on a thread about this method. Video might be possible, but not likely.
    Last edited by Chebass88; 05-18-2017 at 02:09 PM.

I'm glad someone formally asked what programming would actually look like...

I played around with density blocks for press and chins- easy-ish lifts that wouldn't break my heart if they regressed. Ended up breaking through a plateau and gaining some size. I'm currently focused on fat loss, but plan to shit to hypertrophy afterwards cuz vanity, and I was planning on using density blocks for some of the bigger lifts (but not low bar squats) during those cycles.

I'm pretty consistent and committed, so hopefully I can be a decent guinea pig as well.

If it's relevant: male, 34, BW 222, early-advanced programming (4-5 week blocks), balding but still handsome

For the record, I am not asking for a "density block program." Just letting you know I'll be piggy backing on Chebass.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    @ Hanley - if you are interested, PM me your paypal info & cost. I don't particularly like the idea of someone creating a program for free, even if it IS an experiment. Or several tins of Squadron Leader, if that works better.
    skenemaster727@hotmail.com ... I'm assuming his email address hasn't changed recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Sounds like you're talking about something like doing a full set @8-9, and then follow that up with doubles and singles on minimal rest?
    That's what a density block is, yeah. MyoReps essentially.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    That's what a density block is, yeah. MyoReps essentially.
    Ok. I always got the impression that Hanley was talking about the other method where you start out submaximal but maybe I've been misreading his posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Ok. I always got the impression that Hanley was talking about the other method where you start out submaximal but maybe I've been misreading his posts.
    Yeah, I'm talking about this. A given load for a fixed time interval. Time interval is held constant over time. Volume increases as it can. Load is incremented when target volumes are achieved.

I'm not sure sure how How of the Immortals, Plato, or Jesus define "density block". Don't really care.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Well, I was thinking of programming ONLY press. And it will very much be an experiment. So, definitely no money involved.

Bodybuilders have been training like that for 50 years.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Bodybuilders have been training like that for 50 years.
    Training like what?

edit: my claim is that there's little value in 'intraset fatigue". By moderating intraset fatigue you can get equivalent tonnage at identical intensity in roughly half the time as "traditional programming".

I make no claim to novelty with this programming. I just like it. It's worked for me.

You claim this leads to "suboptimal stimulus"

How suboptimal? Why?
    Last edited by John Hanley; 05-18-2017 at 03:20 PM.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast