starting strength gym
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Deadlifting Programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    So Hanley, in a density protocol, I'd reckon the 2 numbers that define it completely would be the time interval and the number of reps. So which do you use? Something like 25 reps in 15 minutes?
    From the ancient scrolls:

Quote Originally Posted by DeriHughes View Post
    Do you plan to add weight to your Presses? If so, why / when?

Ta
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Yeah. Once I hit 25 reps in 7 mins, I'll add 10#. At some point I'll switch to 'real' press programming.

Quote Originally Posted by trick_ster View Post
    How many reps and how often? Asking for a ... friend ... who is about to start training twice a week with two lifts a day. So, 4 exercise slots in a week. Over two weeks, squat and press will be done 3 times each, bench and deadlift -- once each.
    Well, depends. Maybe 2-3 reps a week at/over RPE 9 for an intermediate. Beyond intermediate shit gets more complicated with tapering, etc. This is assuming the lifter has a solid valsalva and isn't spooked by heavy loads, etc (iow, they already have a base of essential "strength skills").

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    So Hanley, in a density protocol, I'd reckon the 2 numbers that define it completely would be the time interval and the number of reps. So which do you use? Something like 25 reps in 15 minutes?
    Well, and intensity, of course, too. A 12 minute density block with ~70% 1RM will look quite a bit different from a density bloc with 80ish%.

I've sorta tweaked my approach since that 2015 quote Eric posted. What I would try to do now when setting up an density block is fiddle with load, time and target reps so that I'm getting very close to my known ~48 hour "max recoverable volume" at a given intensity. For OHP, yeah, I set my target at about 25 reps in 12 minutes now using about 77% e1rm (the quoted 7 mins just wasn't enough time to get the MRV).

I should mention that I don't like this approach for deadlift or back squats. I don't like feeling rushed with those lifts. Front squats and press are so logistically easy that they work well with density blocks.

What I would try to do now when setting up an density block is fiddle with load, time and target reps so that I'm getting very close to my known ~48 hour "max recoverable volume" at a given intensity.
    Do you determine MRV by pushing to the point where you are unable to repeat the same level of performance at the next workout (48 hours later)?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Do you determine MRV by pushing to the point where you are unable to repeat the same level of performance at the next workout (48 hours later)?
    Yeah. You could get all fancy and determine carry over fatigue using a bar speed device. And I've done that.

Or, just sorta gauge fatigue using RPEs...

Izzy probably has a better way.

Regarding the personality preference for structure of setsxreps vs the "haphazardness" of density blocks...

After only a couple sessions of density blocks based on feeling, my protocol became a 10 minute EMOM with sets that looked something like:
    3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 1

The goal every session was to add at least 1 rep to 1 set. Sometimes it was more about rep strategy, which really gets under my skin, but I liked the results of density blocks enough to keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Has to be your eastern philosophy bias.
    Unrelated to anything:

Graham Priest, a brilliant Western Logician, has done quite a bit of work formalizing the logic of Zen and other "Eastern" traditions.

Amazon.com: One: Being an Investigation into the Unity of Reality and of its Parts, including the Singular Object which is Nothingness (9780198776949): Graham Priest: Books

And because I have a weird nerd-crush on Graham Priest, here's a lecture of his on Gottlob Frege, who sorta pulled logic out of the dark ages. I think it's a beautiful lecture:

Graham Priest - Frege - YouTube

John, for the purpose of experimental design, do you need any info such as total weekly volume & at what intensity? I have all of this tabulated, and can provide it since early February, when I switched to my current press programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    John, for the purpose of experimental design, do you need any info such as total weekly volume & at what intensity? I have all of this tabulated, and can provide it since early February, when I switched to my current press programming.
    Yup. That'd be awesome. I'll start a separate thread too on this experiment.

I'm toying with the idea of 2 density blocks at different intensities. Also, I need to figure out where (and how often) to insert a near-max press.

Yup. That'd be awesome. I'll start a separate thread too on this experiment.

I'm toying with the idea of 2 density blocks at different intensities. Also, I need to figure out where (and how often) to insert a near-max press.
    When you invoked my name earlier in the thread, were you looking to use me for experimentation as well? Do you want me to be a "control" or a guinea pig? I'm open to either. I am preparing for two powerlifting meets this year (Aug 5, and Oct 28), so I don't really know what to do with my press. I can provide similar stats regarding reps, sets, some history, sexual preferences, you know, for science...

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    When you invoked my name earlier in the thread, were you looking to use me for experimentation as well? Do you want me to be a "control" or a guinea pig? I'm open to either. I am preparing for two powerlifting meets this year (Aug 5, and Oct 28), so I don't really know what to do with my press. I can provide similar stats regarding reps, sets, some history, sexual preferences, you know, for science...
    I invoked your name because of a comment you left in Gilchrest's log (sorry Gil...I stalked without commenting) about having sad feels if no one else did the 275 press contest.

Brah, if you're doing meets, I wouldn't fuck around with 'unconventional programming'.

That said, I think you, CheB, & I are at about the same level of press advancement, so whatever general template I devise should work for all of us.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast