starting strength gym

Thread: An Odd Twist on Intermediate Training i Don't Remember From the Book(s)

Default An Odd Twist on Intermediate Training i Don't Remember From the Book(s)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I just want to know if anyone has tried this technique. I apologize if this is in PP or strength after 40, I have been too lazy to go re-read.

I started my 1 on 2 off and de-loaded squats all the way to 185 a few months ago in order to once and for all teach myself to low bar squat. Programming on squats has been volume 3X5, then next workout is intensity 1 set of 5 with 10 pounds added from volume. After 6 weeks, I added 1 back off set -10% on either V or I day.

So now, in an attempt to keep the weight moving up and not re-set, my last few squat workouts have been: 5 sets of 3 reps for volume and then 1 set of 5 with the same weight for intensity (keeping the floating back off set). So far, I have not had to re-set. Is using the same weight for V and I a long term viable programming technique. Since I am on the 1 on two off, I ditched the low active recovery squat day and I usually feel recovered by the next workout. Id like to ride this to 3 plates for 5 reps, which would be a PR for me and an amazing accomplishment, as squat is BY FAR my weakest lift, relative to the other basic barbell exercises.

For perspective, 45 years old, last few squats were 265 pounds for V (5 sets of 3) and I (1 set of 5).

Ya, my squat sucks...at one point when I was fatter, my squat was 335# 1 rep max and my deadlift was 500+. I just suck at squatting.
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 05-15-2017 at 04:33 PM.

If the number of reps has forcibly dropped to 3, that's a forced taper, no matter what label you give that day. If you do 5x3, that's a lot of volume on a forced taper, which will eventually lead to injury.

If the program is forcing you to make unexpected major changes like this, that's usually a good sign that the program isn't working as intended.

I don't think you can do an "Intensity Day" immediately after a "Volume Day" without making one of the two days ineffective.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stangl View Post
    I don't think you can do an "Intensity Day" immediately after a "Volume Day" without making one of the two days ineffective.
    Is this the case even though I have 3 days rest between every lifting session (1 on, 2 off)? Thus far, I have not missed a rep and my 3's are going up HARD but my 1 set of 5 is pretty easy three days later. In fact, the last 2 Intensity days, I thought I could have hit 6-8 reps, but I stopped at 5 so I didn't overdue it and not be recovered for volume day.

I'm concerned that if I add a light day into the mix, then it will be 9 days between volume days and I will completely stall out or detrain. And I don't want to add a medium day, as it may not be enough to keep detraining from creeping in. 9-days between volume days is a ton of time for a 45 year old. When it comes to squatting (unlike deadlifting) I detrain quickly and I have to fight like a bitch to earn every single pound back. With overhead press, bench, chin-ups, deadlifts, I gain and maintain much more efficiently. Squats, for me are a different beast.
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 05-15-2017 at 02:35 PM.

You should write out your program because you're making it sound like you squat on two consecutive days.

Last edited by VikingCellist; 05-16-2017 at 12:24 AM.

It's not a 2 day a week programming. It's every third day or three times in 9 days.

3 x a week = 12 workouts a month

Every third day = 10 workouts a month

Twice a week = 8 workouts a month

I switched to 1 on two off because I recover amazingly and I started progressing again after spinning my wheels for months.

Also my all time squat or was 335 not 365. I would have killed for another 30 Pounds. Seriously. Squats suck for me.
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 05-15-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    I switched to 1 on two off because I recover amazingly and I started progressing again after spinning my wheels for months.
    In your original post, you said 2 on, 1 off. That's what confused me and probably Sean, too.

My bad. Sorry about that. I was at work and obviously careless. I corrected the original

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    My bad. Sorry about that. I was at work and obviously careless. I corrected the original
    That definitely sheds a new light on things. If your recovery is compromised because of work, age, sleep, etc. and you find that you're making progress on this current set-up, you should just ride it out until it stalls. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You might've taken the deload a bit too far, but I guess it doesn't matter now. Once you can't make anymore gains on the current set-up, you'll probably need to do more work to keep spurring progress.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks. This is literally the first time in my post SS life that squatting seems to be increasing as programing. I feel good (aside from angry IT bands) and even now, 225, 235, 245 pounds X 3 feels lighter than it did when I hit my all time previous high of 285 X5. Im hoping to blow past that and hit 3 plates for sets of 3 then 5. Then who knows...