starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fragmenting Training

Default Fragmenting Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Background: I am following an "Intermediate Program" by this guy Jordan Feigenbaum. Not sure if anyone here has heard of him, but he is a pretty big deal. He does shirtless livestreams where lots of dudes, including myself, tune in. He is disrupting Chaturbate.

Anyway, I have found that due to work picking up and now a baby here, taking 1.5-1.75hrs plus commute to do my workout is getting difficult, especially the longer day 3. I had the idea that if I do the first two movements in 1 hour, I can do the third the next morning in my garage gym in 30-45 minutes.

Would this spreading out of the work across the same week have the same training effect as doing the whole workout 3 times a week? Have any of you tried this?
    Last edited by pshotsb17; 05-17-2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Spelling

Is this one of Jordan's special purpose built, carefully designed, fully tested and scientifically proven programs ? If so, what kind of neanderthal heretic would dare to suggest altering it ?

Nah, if it isn't convenient to do it as written, then it's fair to look for an alternative. Doing a movement next morning will mean that you don't get full rest days. Would it be possible to do the third movement on the same day ? On the other hand, if you can get your workouts down to less than one hour, you may feel more recovered.

Wh not ask Jordan ?

Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post
    Background: I am following an "Intermediate Program" by this guy Jordan Feigenbaum. Not sure if anyone here has heard of him, but he is a pretty big deal. He does shirtless livestreams where lots of dudes, including myself, tune in. He is disrupting Chaturbate.

Anyway, I have found that due to work picking up and now a baby here, taking 1.5-1.75hrs plus commute to do my workout is getting difficult, especially the longer day 3. I had the idea that if I do the first two movements in 1 hour, I can do the third the next morning in my garage gym in 30-45 minutes.

Would this spreading out of the work across the same week have the same training effect as doing the whole workout 3 times a week? Have any of you tried this?
    Why don't you just get a program that is designed for your schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Yea, I dont think I really have a schedule anymore... lifting just plops itself into and inconveniences everyone else in my life

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    Doing a movement next morning will mean that you don't get full rest days.
    But but but... I would like to explore this more. As background, I've read Practical Programming. Don't know how much I retained, but I recall this wavy stress-adaptation-recovery graph in there.

Let us postulate:

A full workout on Jordan's program done on the first day of the week contains 3 main movements and drops me down this recovery curve to a position of -3 from 0. By Day 3 of the week, I have recovered to 0 for the 2nd of 3 workouts of the week.

If instead I drop the last and (typically) least stress inducing movement on Workout 1 on Day 1 to move it to Day 2, I drop down the recovery curve to -2.5. On Day 2 of the week, I have recovered to -1, and then I do the last movement from Workout 1, dropping me down to -1.5. Then by Day 3 of the week, I should be back to 0 on the recovery curve in time for Workout 2 of the week.

Is this logic flawed?

I had a gym at work and would do half my workout during the lunch hour and the other half after work so I could get home earlier. I didn't see any negative impact other than having to warm up twice for some stuff. Why are you finishing the workout the next morning instead of doing that portion the morning before when you're doing the rest of the workout at the gym? Full rest days are way better than semi-rest days + accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Mugaaz View Post
    I had a gym at work and would do half my workout during the lunch hour and the other half after work so I could get home earlier. I didn't see any negative impact other than having to warm up twice for some stuff. Why are you finishing the workout the next morning instead of doing that portion the morning before when you're doing the rest of the workout at the gym? Full rest days are way better than semi-rest days + accessories.
    Part of the problem is that my gym is 30 minutes drive from my house. I run two businesses plus new baby makes it tough to do a a two-a-day, tho I havent tried. i have a garage gym - some oly plates and a bar wedged between my neighbors cars - that I can only use for squats and deads in the summer when the garage isn't freezing. I'll give it a try doing the first movement in the early AM at home and the rest in the afternoon/early evening at the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post

You have a garage gym? Why do you commute to and pay for a gym, when you can just lift in your garage?

Don't know if I'm missing something here.

starting strength coach development program
    One key programming consideration you're missing here is this- the third movement is indeed the least stress inducing and doing it in the same session as the third lift also mitigates, by design, the weight you can load on the bar for the given RPE. Do it the next morning and you're altering this. This may or may not affect your fatigue and recovery too much. Lots of us train with sub-optimal set ups, but I'm with Cody. I'd find a way to train with you schedule with a some decent consistency.

Because the idea that lifting has to get dropped into your schedule indicates that two a days might decrease compliance as well. Not saying it will, but this set up tends to leave more room for "I'm super busy so I'll just skip that 3rd lift extra session", you know?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast