starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help me understand

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    This plays into why 5/3/1 works off of 90% of your 1RM. Since they chop 10% off your 1RM in 5/3/1, the average lifter doesn't have to worry about relative intensity.
    This is an interesting video... thanks for sharing...

It's a convenient tool for programming, especially if you program based on percentages and not RPE. Since I'm an excel fanatic, I usually use Brzycki's formula to determine relative intensity for certain percentages (just replace weight with %1RM). And to get even more hify with it, I apply some sort of a percentage for fatigue/set (currently using 1.25% for lower rep ranges) to get some sort of a gauge. It's obviously not 100 % accurate as fatigue depends on rest time, conditioning and other factors, but it points to a direction.

I should probably base the fatigue/set on relative intensity, perhaps also on amount of reps..

So, if one is doing block periodization, where intensity and volume share an inverse relationship by block, is it relative intensity or absolute intensity that you increase over the cycle or both?

ETA: Thanks to Mike for sharing, and thanks to Izzy for clarifying.
    Last edited by Eric K; 05-20-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Typically both. However, it is more important that an overload occurs than it is that relative intensity trends up.

For example, if I hit 405x5x5 with the hardest set being @9 and then the next week I do 415x5x5 with the hardest set @8.5, that's a good thing and not a bad thing.

Relative intensity is just a way to, hopefully, systematically program in overload but you can also do that via linear progress, adding reps, adding sets, decreasing rest periods (depending on desires training effect), etc.

Why was the video taken down???

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by mjrpwrlfting View Post
    Why was the video taken down???
    copyright infringement . . . too bad he used so many different background videos

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12