starting strength gym

Thread: End of SSLP to Texas method question

Default End of SSLP to Texas method question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ive had 1 reset. One at 325. I started adding a light mid day at this point but still adding 5 lbs 2x a week till 345. After my 3rd attempt i hit the 345x3x5. The following week i starting following the PP book about doing a single heavy 1x5 and 2 back of sets of 5. This got me till 355.

I have completed 350x1x5. Then at 355x1x3( failed on safeties) and lastly my 2nd failed 355x1x4. I gave up after the 4th rep because I felt like my form was gonna break down big time.

I eat 3800 calories, sleep 7.5 hours, 5'10", 215 lbs, 32 YO

I posted in the technique sections and got some good advice. Today Sunday was going to be my first volume day on Texas Method, 315x5x5 after failing 355x1x4 on thursday ( i squat sunday, tuesday,thursday)

I completed the 3rd set of 5s but had two sets left. I could not go on to finish. After my 3rd set i was so tired i had to recover for close to 20 minutes just to be able to walk around and felt a new kind of tired.... to the bones. My arms trembling weak and my CNS just felt fried. I was suppose to bench and dead but went home to cry over ice cream and milk.

my question is... should i be going strait to a 315x5x5? I used the Texas method calculator created my member SteamRoxorz. wasn't sure if a deload before going to the Texas method was what I should do. Deload for a week or reset and workup on Texas? and by how much. My last complete sets were 345x3x5 and 350x1x5 355x1x3.

Thanks for your time and input, this site Has been a huge resource.
    Last edited by Ultarnr75; 05-21-2017 at 09:23 AM.

Deload...

I agree with mjrpwrlfting.

When transitioning to any Intermediate program, you should deload. If you are going to make the switch to texas method, start with 345x5 (your last successful 3x5) for intensity day, and 80 to 90 percent of that for volume day (per the book PPST). Personally, I would start closer to 80% (~275lb) for 5x5. This may be a shot to your ego, but you will be squatting bigger numbers in no time!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    I agree with mjrpwrlfting.

When transitioning to any Intermediate program, you should deload. If you are going to make the switch to texas method, start with 345x5 (your last successful 3x5) for intensity day, and 80 to 90 percent of that for volume day (per the book PPST). Personally, I would start closer to 80% (~275lb) for 5x5. This may be a shot to your ego, but you will be squatting bigger numbers in no time!
    Thanks Adam. I will start at 285 next Sunday. Should i try for 320x1x5 or 345x1x5 that week on intensity day? Also, should i rest completely till Sunday?

I'd rest, and take 90% of your top lift to figure out where to start your Texas Method, it may be easy the first week, but your body will respond...