starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I move forward from this?

Default How do I move forward from this?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys, my 3x5 squat today was a serious failure. This was my 3rd attempt at 3x5 @ 335, the first session I missed one rep, second time I failed the last set and today I only got a rep before I realized it wasn't happening. I dropped 15 lbs and completed 3x5 @ 320. I'm currently adding weight to my squat 2 times a week with an 80% day in the middle, I've increased my eating since failing this weight the first time and am sure to be in a surplus, I sleep 8 hours a night I'm 20 years old, 200 lbs. What do?

Default How do I move forward from this?

Deload or change the bar or change the type of squat you are doing... but don't beat your head against the wall. You have plateaued and you need to move away from simple programs. Congrats! Your an intermediate now!
    Last edited by mjrpwrlfting; 05-21-2017 at 02:56 PM.

I recommend switching to an intermediate program and incorporating a deload when selecting weight for your new program. Using Texas Method as an example (it is not the only intermediate program BTW...), I would set your intensity day at 320lbx5 and your volume day at 260lbx5x5, just as an example.
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 05-21-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Move to intermediate. Make more gainzzz. Next stop: 4 plates for reps.

How tall?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilladiesel View Post
    Hey guys, my 3x5 squat today was a serious failure. This was my 3rd attempt at 3x5 @ 335, the first session I missed one rep...
    I bet if you took two training days off of squatting you could probably get back on the LP train. If you've never failed a rep before, and you only missed a rep in that session, you were probably just fatigued.

Since you attempted to repeat the weight two more times, and got fewer reps each time, I'd bet on accumulated fatigue. I *think* that instead of switching to intermediate programming, you could squeeze out more from your LP by skipping two squat sessions and jumping right back in.

Anyway, maybe everyone else is right that it's time for intermediate programming.

What do you think about trying one more push forward doing 1 topset of 5 and 2 backoff sets of 5 at 90% of that days weight increased in a linear fashion 2x a week separated by an 80% squat day in the middle just to milk a bit more linear progress? I feel like my Deadlift, power clean, bench and press still have a few jumps left if I can keep my squat moving forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    I recommend switching to an intermediate program and incorporating a deload when selecting weight for your new program. Using Texas Method as an example (it is not the only intermediate program BTW...), I would set your intensity day at 320lbx5 and your volume day at 260lbx5x5, just as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorilladiesel View Post
    What do you think about trying one more push forward doing 1 topset of 5 and 2 backoff sets of 5 at 90% of that days weight increased in a linear fashion 2x a week separated by an 80% squat day in the middle just to milk a bit more linear progress? I feel like my Deadlift, power clean, bench and press still have a few jumps left if I can keep my squat moving forward.
    Some would say that it's a good way to continue progress and adding weight to the bar every week. Others would say it's delaying the inevitable--stalling and having to deload and change programming.

Why do you tie in your bench/press/DL/PC progress to your squat progress?

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Some would say that it's a good way to continue progress and adding weight to the bar every week. Others would say it's delaying the inevitable--stalling and having to deload and change programming.

Why do you tie in your bench/press/DL/PC progress to your squat progress?
    Well I think the others have some linear progress left on them. My Bench and press are still moving forward again after a slight deload and I'm approaching the weight I deloaded at and they both feel much better, possibly technique related. Squatting 325 1x5 and then doing 2 backoff sets of 295 tomorrow to push out any leftover squat gains. If doing this doesn't work over the next week I may end up dropping my light middle day from 80% to 70% as a hail Mary before giving up, assuming bench and press don't stall first. Benching 225 3x5 tomorrow and pressing 135 Sunday and assuming those go well I might even get another few weeks with those tweaks before moving to the Texas Method.

starting strength coach development program
    Am I beating a dead horse? Last few training sessions are definitely leaving serious fatigue on my back and I'm usually sore as shit all day any day that I train. Should I just move to Texas Method before I hurt myself and accept my LP is officially dead?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast