starting strength gym

Thread: What next? Heavy Light Medium

Default What next? Heavy Light Medium

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Andy,

I'm currently doing HLM after unsuccessfully trying the Texas method.

I'm making great progress with this program, it's much easier to recover from.

In Practical Programing, HLM doesn't get many pages -- why is that?

What do you do after HLM? The general 12 program is only 12 weeks! It says in the book HLM programs can be used for years before advanced training.

Thanks,

Matt

HLM is not a program, its an organization of training. You can manipulate the variables however you like (sets, reps, exercise selection, etc).

Hey Andy,

So in keeping with this thread I have a question about HLM as well. I have been training about 8-9 months now. 5-6 months on Novice, 18 weeks on one of the 4 day splits, and am now working on another 4 day split, this time with cycling. I continue to make steady weekly progress in all lifts except for the squat where I am just having a hell of a time getting to 405 and have been up in down in the high 3's. I am tall 6'5'' , 285lbs. Though I am not a weightlifter, the gym I go to caters primarily to competitive weightlifters and of course the coach suggests I drop my LBBS for front squats. Since that's not going to happen, it does make me wonder if there could be some value to bringing in the front squat. If I did I was thinking HLM with front squats on the light day. I think I may need more work overall on the squat anyway. What are your thoughts?

You can either front squat or light squat on the light day if you like.