starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tweaking HLM bench program

Question Tweaking HLM bench program

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I switched to Baker HLM for upper lifts about 6 weeks ago. Original setup was this:

Tuesday (H) - Bench 3x5, 2x5 @95%
    Thursday (L) - OHP 5x5 (did a big reset)
    Saturday (M) - Close-grip Bench 3x5, 2x8-10
    Minimal extras like db curls, pushups, db shoulder stuff

My main goal right now is to get my bench higher. 2 weeks ago I completed my bench at 185lb 3x5, 175 2x5. I took 5lb jumps to reach 185, then 2.5lb weekly jumps since then. Today I only managed 190x5/2, 180 2x5, 170x5. Taking 5 minutes rest between sets (can't take longer since heavy day is already 2 hours long). My last close-grip bench session was only 160 3x5, 135 2x8 (Started low to get used to the lift, been taking 5lb jumps weekly). Close-grip bench is progressing fine and bar speed is fast, probably have another 10-15lbs to add to it before it gets really slow. I'm gaining weight, sleeping fine, low stress, taking caffeine, have good music, etc.

What can I do to keep my bench progressing better? Dropping from 185 3x5 to 190 1x5 in 2 weeks seems like regressing... I'm on summer break, so I'm willing to switch up the lifts, add accessories, bench more often, put OHP on hold, add an extra lifting day, etc. I'd like to get as much volume in as I can recover from for upper lifts. Advice?

Age, height, weight?

I'm assuming you moved to this after your press and bench stalled on LP, is that right? If so, where did they stall, and how many times did you reset them?

How much weight are you gaining each week? Was there anything out of the ordinary in the days prior to that heavy day?

Maybe change Sat's session from close-grip to wide-ish grip, followed by 3x8reps LTEs.

Or just change Sat's session to regular bench, getting lots of tonnage at reduced intensity (turning it more into a medium-heavy day).

Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    Age, height, weight?

I'm assuming you moved to this after your press and bench stalled on LP, is that right? If so, where did they stall, and how many times did you reset them?

How much weight are you gaining each week? Was there anything out of the ordinary in the days prior to that heavy day?
    30, 198.2lb, 6'1". I stalled hard on SSLP when my bench hit 180 3x5 (couldn't get one set of 5 at 182.5), and then switched to HLM with a reset (Austin Baraki's advice to me was to reset and switch to Baker HLM). My weight fluctuates, but I'm gaining 1lb every 1-2 weeks (4200 cals/day). I did some light gardening (weed pulling, rose trimming) yesterday, but it wasn't anything strenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Maybe change Sat's session from close-grip to wide-ish grip, followed by 3x8reps LTEs.

Or just change Sat's session to regular bench, getting lots of tonnage at reduced intensity (turning it more into a medium-heavy day).
    With the way my close-grip is going, I think I can get my 3x5 close-grip to equal 90% of my x5 wide-ish grip bench in 2-3 weeks. How much tonnage (sets, reps, intensity%) do you think is reasonable to hit on Saturday, to avoid recovery issues by my Tuesday bench session?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    With the way my close-grip is going, I think I can get my 3x5 close-grip to equal 90% of my x5 wide-ish grip bench in 2-3 weeks. How much tonnage (sets, reps, intensity%) do you think is reasonable to hit on Saturday, to avoid recovery issues by my Tuesday bench session?
    Eh. Something like 6setsx5reps @~70-72% e1rm.

I would cut your Press volume to 3 sets and scrap the 8s on your CGBP.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    Eh. Something like 6setsx5reps @~70-72% e1rm.
    Ok. Now that you mention it, I think Cody wrote somewhere that he liked bench press 5x5 @90% of Heavy day for medium day. So I'll up the intensity and 5rep volume on my close-grip bench over the next 2 weeks and see how that gets the bench moving. Then I'll look into widening my grip on medium day if close-grip still isn't cutting it. Thanks Hanley!

EDIT - Dujin, if press volume was causing issues, wouldn't it really mess up my CGBP (nice abbreviation) that's done 2 days later? Because right now my CGBP is flying. I'll definitely try switching to 5's on all CGBP sets this week.
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 05-23-2017 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Ok. Now that you mention it, I think Cody wrote somewhere that he liked bench press 5x5 @90% of Heavy day for medium day. So I'll up the intensity and 5rep volume on my close-grip bench over the next 2 weeks and see how that gets the bench moving. Then I'll look into widening my grip on medium day if close-grip still isn't cutting it. Thanks Hanley!

EDIT - Dujin, if press volume was causing issues, wouldn't it really mess up my CGBP (nice abbreviation) that's done 2 days later? Because right now my CGBP is flying. I'll definitely try switching to 5's on all CGBP sets this week.
    You said that you started the CGBP out light, so it's no surprise its going up regularly.

My strategy with things like this is to find the minimum effective dose and then increase as necessary. I suspect you're exceeding what you can recover from. Another option would be to eat more.

starting strength coach development program
    Update:

5/27: CGBP - 167.5 5x5
    5/30/17: Bench - 192.5x5 (5 rep PR, RPE 8.5?); 182.5 2x5; 172.5 2x5 (5m rest)
    6/1/17: OHP - 117.5 3x3 (5m rest)
    6/3/17: CGBP - 175 5x5 (5 min rest). Last set RPE 9?
    6/6/17: Bench - 195x3/1/F; 175x5.

I was supposed to hit 195x5 today, and it was a miserable failure. Last week's 192.5x5 was way better. Warmups reps were incredibly slow. Food and sleeping was fine this week. I'm guessing I wasn't recovered fully from Saturday's CGBP 5x5@90% ? Should I try 3x5@90% CGBP instead this week? Or should I drop to ~87% 5x5 instead of 90% on CGBP? It's so frustrating that 192.5x5 went up great last week, but I could only manage 195x3 today.
    Last edited by Aaron Montgomery; 06-06-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast