starting strength gym
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Modifying PL program for general strength

Default Modifying PL program for general strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings,

My current state is that i don't exactly know how to start this. Before serious strength training i was doing all kinds of crap, first useless split routines for a year, then SL5x5 few months, then Candito's strength/hypertrophy and finally switched to full body training 3x a week (which just feels right). Overall i have ~3 years of lifting "experience", my stats are:
    Squat - 120kgx3
    Bench - 105kg
    DL i think is around 150kg (haven't done it for long time since i got some issues with my hip)
    BW is ~70kg

Lately i was doing heavy chinups combined with heavy bench and developed elbow tendonitis (it mostly healed by now).

Specifically, i would like to modify PTW - PowerliftingToWin program which i was planning on doing before but lacked microplates at the time (planing on buying them soon) and now i don't want the program to be PL specific because i won't be competing. So i was thinking to run it as a general strength program with added, say OHP, row, pullups/chinups and a curl variation and maybe without the Deadlifts or just once a month or so + working on technique for Olympic lifts, mainly Clean & Jerk. What is the best way to blend this into the program? What kind of template should i use in terms of rep ranges and exercise rotation on a specific day for added movements?

Plan is to do it as follows:

Volume day (Mon)
    Squat 4x8 till i can do 4x10 then adding weight.
    Bench 5x8-10
    Row 5x8-10

Light day (Wed)
    Squat 5x6 70-80% of Monday weight.
    OHP 5x6
    Chinups/Pullups 3x10-15

Heavy day (Fri)
    Squat 5x3-6
    Bench 5x3-6
    Row 5x3-6

Could this be too much volume?
    Curling on Monday and Friday, occasionally doing some rear delt flyes or face-pulls and WL technique when suitable.

I would appreciate if anyone could share some suggestions.

Thank you.

The answer is "read the books, do the novice program, gain weight" but that's kind of unfashionable around here these days.

I am unclear on the definition of "general strength" could someone shed a bit of light on this for me?

Quote Originally Posted by shib View Post
    I am unclear on the definition of "general strength" could someone shed a bit of light on this for me?
    I think it means "I have no aspirations to be a competitive powerlifter"

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    The answer is "read the books, do the novice program, gain weight" but that's kind of unfashionable around here these days.
    Why are you still giving advice? On 5-12-17 you wrote this in your training log: "Done with this shit. It's been real, guys"

I don't know if LP can work for me anymore and gaining weight is not that easy. Some constructive contributions are more than welcome.

This isn't even an LP anymore. If you just like the idea of double progression rep ranges for LP, steal that and then plug in whatever movements you want to train.

Legs, Push, Pull is a good format.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulreaper View Post
    gaining weight is not that easy
    Well, neither is lifting, but we still do that. It does help though, and assuming you're not five feet tall, 70kg is pretty light.

But would i still benefit from LP? I know it's not LP, just referencing to the ones that say "do the novice program, gain weight". I want to train full body, adding those two or three movements.

It's really hard for me to gain weight, lifting is not the only physical activity, i do loads of other stuff throughout the day.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulreaper View Post
    But would i still benefit from LP? I know it's not LP, just referencing to the ones that say "do the novice program, gain weight". I want to train full body, adding those two or three movements.

It's really hard for me to gain weight, lifting is not the only physical activity, i do loads of other stuff throughout the day.
    Will you benefit from LP? One good way to find out: Try it.

Hardgainer? GOMAD. Yes, it will be hard get more calories in. Do it anyway.
    Last edited by I_iz_a_fatass; 05-24-2017 at 07:05 AM.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast