starting strength gym

Thread: Trying to devise a program.

Default Trying to devise a program.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Okay, so it's program hopping time again. I've been reading the books and am trying to come up with a program that will allow me to make progress without beating the hell out of me.

My current program is an amorphous dumpster crash of things that have evolved until they conflict with bits added on here and there until I'm not sure why I'm doing some of them.

I found SS via TAOM while I was trying to learn the clean and jerk. When I realised how far short I was of the strength and skill necessary to fling a bar overhead and catch it, I did SS.

I now practice the snatch and C&J, but don't go for maxes. If it feels near to failure, I quit. I figure I can develop strength in the slow lifts and the fast lifts can follow along.

Proposed plan is a 3 day following kind of an HLM template, but mixed around a bit. I'd like to keep sessions dow to an hour, ninety minutes at a push. currently I'm up to nearly two hours and its getting to be inconvenient.

Current "program"

Mon:
    Snatch practice,
    cleans/high pulls
    bench, heavy
    rows,
    biceps curls , just because

Tues:
    Press heavy
    Squat heavy
    Chin ups or pull ups, I've just gone back to chin ups as pull ups seem to follow the chin up fairly well
    Incline dumbell bench, added to fill time between chin ups

Thurs (or Fri depending on schedule)
    Snatch grip high pull
    Front squat
    Jerk practice. To be combined with the clean when I stop feeling like I'm going to fall over.
    Bench light, currently Close grip and pin bench

Sat
    Deadlift
    light press, currently heavier than heavy press programming seriously skewed here
    Light squat, or medium squat currently high bar, just to see how it feels.
    Weighted chin ups.

Some of this stuff just has to go.

Proposed scheme

Day 1
    Back Squat, heavy
    Bench
    weighted chin up

Day 2
    Snatch practice
    Clean and Jerk Practice
    Dips
    Front squat

Day 3
    Deadlift
    Press
    Light back squat

M 52 81.5kg (lost 4kg from sheer carelessness) 1.81m. Sq120 DL140 PR62 B92 Cl 60 SN30 One rep maxes on a good day and not all recent.
    Yes, I could weigh more, but as I age, fat seems to accumulate quickly and I'm not used to it, so I'm trying to add weight slowly.

The idea being that the overhead work on the fast lifts will equate to a light press. Rep schemes will likely be the slow ladder for the big four, I've been adding a kilo a week on a three week cycle and am grinding to a halt.

Is there any reason why this would be a terrible program ? Any glaring omissions ?

If it were me I'd do

Mon
    Heavy squat 3-5x5
    Bench 3-5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

We'd
    Front squat 3x3
    Press 3x5
    Snatch 4-6x2
    Chins 3x10

Fri
    Pause or "light" back squat 3x5
    Jerk 3x3
    Clean 5x3
    Dips 3x10
    Last edited by Ben Patterson; 05-28-2017 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    If it were me I'd do

Mon
    Heavy squat 3-5x5
    Bench 3-5x5
    Deadlift 1x5

We'd
    Front squat 3x3
    Press 3x5
    Snatch 4-6x2
    Chins 3x10

Fri
    Pause or "light" back squat 3x5
    Jerk 3x3
    Clean 5x3
    Dips 3x10
    Closer to a classic HLM. My only reservation is doing DL bench and heavy squat in the same session. This could lead to long sessions.

By the same reasoning, would it be just as good to do clean and jerk, nine singles and then clean 2x3 ?

Do you see dips as a medium pressing movment ? i.e harder than the press

You're right about that Monday set up. You'd have to weigh the value of consuladating the highest stress to one day versus a shorter workout.

I like splitting the C&J up for training purposes. I think you can progress each better this way. Then combine them during a meet prep. But if you wanted to do 9x1 then 2x3 cleans I think you could.

Dips are on the medium day out of chance here. I wanted snatches on the light day and cleans on medium day, I also wanted the jerk on the same day as cleans and didn't want the press on the same day as jerks. So not a medium movement per'se, they are an ancillary exercise.

Maybe something like that:

Monday
    Snatch
    squat heavy (maybe 5 x 5 ascending sets)
    Bench medium (ascending or straight)

Wednesday
    Clean & Jerk
    Clean

Friday
    Squat medium-ish
    Bench heavy
    Deadlift

Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    You're right about that Monday set up. You'd have to weigh the value of consuladating the highest stress to one day versus a shorter workout.

I like splitting the C&J up for training purposes. I think you can progress each better this way. Then combine them during a meet prep. But if you wanted to do 9x1 then 2x3 cleans I think you could.

Dips are on the medium day out of chance here. I wanted snatches on the light day and cleans on medium day, I also wanted the jerk on the same day as cleans and didn't want the press on the same day as jerks. So not a medium movement per'se, they are an ancillary exercise.
    Consolidating stress could be a problem for me. Recovery isn't so great. I switched from two long sessions per week to four shorter sessions and felt a lot better between sessions. Now I'm messing about doing four long sessions and I think it may be affecting my progress.

Meet prep may be a year or two away.

I asked about the jerk, because I was thinking of it as part of the continuum of press-push press-jerk. Most of the work is done by the legs, but the overhead phase of the jerk and the snatch work the shoulders in new and interesting ways.

Quote Originally Posted by limace31 View Post
    Maybe something like that:

Monday
    Snatch
    squat heavy (maybe 5 x 5 ascending sets)
    Bench medium (ascending or straight)

Wednesday
    Clean & Jerk
    Clean

Friday
    Squat medium-ish
    Bench heavy
    Deadlift
    That covers most of it, could we fit presses, chin ups and dips in there ? Presses because Rip says we have to and the other two because I kind of like being able to do them.

Body weight exercises can be done at the end of each day. I think Andy Baker wrote that there was not a significant impact on recovery (as long as you do not overdo things of course).

IMO, instead of benching medium, do presses and chins on Monday then dips after the cleans on Wednesday.

What do you think?

Why don't you just do one of Andy Baker's programs, or have him write one for you? I'm 71 now and his "after 40" 4-day program got me to nationally competitive lifts. Without the accessory lifts, it can be done in about an hour a day.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    Why don't you just do one of Andy Baker's programs, or have him write one for you? I'm 71 now and his "after 40" 4-day program got me to nationally competitive lifts. Without the accessory lifts, it can be done in about an hour a day.
    Why ? a mixture of curiosity, intellectual inquisitiveness, arrogance, stupidity and miserliness. Not necessarily in that order.

Which of my proposed lifts would you consider accessory ?

I've got the big four plus snatch and clean and jerk. Dips and chins might be a means to an end for some, but I consider them essential life skills.
    Last edited by chrisd; 05-30-2017 at 07:03 PM.