starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feeling Frustrated. Deload?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    For real.

I suggest switching to high bar to increase the length of the back lever to balance out the geometry with your long femurs: requires a less acute hip angle and less forward knee travel. Also, get some orthopedic inserts to increase the heel height of your shoes and give you more forward knee travel to compensate for your long femurs. I suggest these. Amazon.com: G&W Heel Lift - Clearly Adjustable - Medium - Men 7-1/2 - 9, Women 8 - 10 (60mm, 2-3/8'' wide): Health & Personal Care That should make squatting a bit more comfortable.
    Great advice. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlocity2 View Post
    Don't hesitate to submit video form checks (read the sticky) on the SSC Q&A forum here. Based on your SQ video here, what they may tell you is:
    You're burning valuable energy taking so much time between reps.
    A slightly faster descent may get you a better bounce out of the bottom, assuming you stay tight.
    True, thanks that's good advice.

Don't deload just from one hard session. The novice lp gets to where every squat session is tough as hell. When you start missing reps get the light squat day in. Keep up with the food. Post a form check to the ssc forum too.

Think I'm getting there. I did 110kg on the squat today, and it's getting scary hard, but then again it's been like that since 100kg. Today was actually easier than 100kg. I'm glad that it doesn't mean much to fail the last rep on one session, thanks for feedback. I think I will get the 5 reps on deadlifts and press next time, hopefully.

How long can you continue after you implement a light squat day? Edit: Well that's actually a stupid question, it's obviously individual but are we talking normally a month or something like that?

Have you read this? The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

How long can you continue after you implement a light squat day?
    In that ballpark, yes. People use different methods to run out the NLP at that point (1 heavy then 2 backoff sets versus 5 sets of 3 then 6 of 2, etc.). However, you weights are light across the board which means something is wrong (form, eating, sleep, etc., etc.).

Those squats are not particularly grindy. You are going very slow on the way down (minimal rebound) and rest a lot between reps. This burns a ton of energy.

Yeah, I've read it. I do those things.

Probably it's sleep that's my worst, sometimes I get 4-5 hours, but usually 8-10 hours of good sleep. I'm 19 years old though, I've been told I should be indestructible. I guess I can start using more rebound that would help, I did a little wider stance with my squat today too as well as point them out just a little bit more. Those did feel better than before, but could also have been that I didn't rest nearly as long on the top.

One thing I did leading up to that could affect is one really intensive MMA training / week while im on LP, like 2 hours long. That was thursday (did gym afternoon and MMA later that day), and on Sunday I failed my deadlift + press. Leading up to that day I slept 7.5 - 8 hours, but one thing I did to was I trained really late. It was like 23:00 when I did deadlift so it might've been that it was too late and I was tired

starting strength coach development program
    I started my LP at 70x5x3. By 180 or so, I felt like every set was barely feasible with immense effort right on the edge of failure. It felt about like this every session until I finally failed at 280. The easy answer might just be that it's SUPPOSED to be hard. Keep pushing with all you've got, doing EVERYTHING right from eating, sleeping, resting enough between sets, using a belt, good shoes, creatine, etc etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12