starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this volume day method make sense?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I second Hanley's recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Elite powerlifters doing 6-10 sets of bench per session isn't as uncommon as you'd think, honestly. I can think of literally dozens of examples. I think once you're in that that 7-8 set range it makes more sense to simply add another session, though.
    For a fun anecdote, at the moment, I'm doing 8 sets of bench 4-5 times a week. That's as part of an RPE-based 5% fatigue drop from an 8 RPE... it only stops at 8 sets because rest periods start decreasing as desire to stop benching accumulates.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stangl View Post
    I'm doing 8 sets of bench 4-5 times a week. That's as part of an RPE-based 5% fatigue drop from an 8 RPE... it only stops at 8 sets because rest periods start decreasing as desire to stop benching accumulates.
    Holy shitballs.

What's an ballpark average weekly rep total?

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    What's an ballpark average weekly rep total?

Volume uses the right y-axis. Looks like about 175. That doesn't include pressing, which is at about 40.

The super-high volume on the left was very low-intensity high-rep stuff. It's hard to show everything in a single graph. They always leave a lot out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Stangl View Post

Volume uses the right y-axis. Looks like about 175. That doesn't include pressing, which is at about 40.

The super-high volume on the left was very low-intensity high-rep stuff. It's hard to show everything in a single graph. They always leave a lot out.
    How were you measuring the volume of your accessory work? Did you keep your accessory exercises the same?

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    How were you measuring the volume of your accessory work? Did you keep your accessory exercises the same?
    Reps. Accessory exercises unfortunately varied.

Quick update:

In 43 days my bench moved from
    176 lbs 4x8 to 181,5 lbs 6x8. This rate of progress would probably make me a novice, right? If yes, why did LP with microloading not work anymore, even though the poundage I add per month is about the same as it was on microloading LP?

You probably weren't getting enough stimulus to make progress.

Quote Originally Posted by zar9star View Post
    Quick update:

In 43 days my bench moved from
    176 lbs 4x8 to 181,5 lbs 6x8. This rate of progress would probably make me a novice, right? If yes, why did LP with microloading not work anymore, even though the poundage I add per month is about the same as it was on microloading LP?
    Answer the "first three questions". More than likely one of your answers will be the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    Answer the "first three questions". More than likely one of your answers will be the reason.
    Doubt it.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    No, I know these 3 questions for a long time already. They seem to be Rips favourite thing to link people like me to. They don't help me. I did 7 min rest times, microloading, while gaining weight (and my squat blew up during that time).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast