starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does this volume day method make sense?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It gets linked to people in order to rule those things out.

It's probably as stated before, you needed more volume.

Instead of a ton more volume, why not add an assistance on non-bench days?

I have recently had very good results with bench by adding inclined dumbbells to a single top set. Prior to adding dumbbells, my bench which was stuck for >6 months at 225 for 3 sets of 3 (on a great day). I added volume, then I did drop sets, rest pause sets, added more volume between 185 - 225 pounds. Nothing worked. I thought at one point, I may have reached my genetic potential (Im 45). I finally left the mind set of only manipulating only volume and I incorporated inclined dumbbells on non bench days. I worked my way to 15 reps at a weight, then increase dumbbell weight by 5 pounds and start over. The dumbbell strength increased rapidly and I went from 55 to 70 pounders for 15 reps and this weekend, I hit 250 X 3 and backed off with 225 X 5,5,4 on flat bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Dujin View Post
    It gets linked to people in order to rule those things out.
    For novices doing the novice program.

Quote Originally Posted by OZ-USF-UFGator View Post
    Instead of a ton more volume, why not add an assistance on non-bench days?

I have recently had very good results with bench by adding inclined dumbbells to a single top set. Prior to adding dumbbells, my bench which was stuck for >6 months at 225 for 3 sets of 3 (on a great day). I added volume, then I did drop sets, rest pause sets, added more volume between 185 - 225 pounds. Nothing worked. I thought at one point, I may have reached my genetic potential (Im 45). I finally left the mind set of only manipulating only volume and I incorporated inclined dumbbells on non bench days. I worked my way to 15 reps at a weight, then increase dumbbell weight by 5 pounds and start over. The dumbbell strength increased rapidly and I went from 55 to 70 pounders for 15 reps and this weekend, I hit 250 X 3 and backed off with 225 X 5,5,4 on flat bench.
    Whether you realize it or not, you also added more volume.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    For novices doing the novice program.
    The essence of his question (the one I answered with "the first 3 questions") was why did LP with microloadinf not work anymore. Now that answers ONE of the three, but not all. Yes it's for novices running LP and he asked about his LP stalling at what was the end of his novice phase.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Whether you realize it or not, you also added more volume.
    No less benching volume total as I dropped my volume of flat bench significantly when I started dumbbell inclined. At one point I did a single work set of flat bench in non bench days and it was of no avail. It was my stubbornness to manipulate volume and intensity only and not to include an assistance that caused my stagnation.
    Last edited by OZ-USF-UFGator; 06-20-2017 at 05:02 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123