starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does this volume day method make sense?

Default Does this volume day method make sense?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So I've hit an ultimate plateau on my bench with the SS novice program. I decided to try something new and took a template from these boards and modified it by feel and my bench started to blow up very rapidly. I even lost about 4 lbs bodyweight during those last weeks. Basically I'm just adding sets. Here is how I've been doing it for the past weeks. I'm currently at friday in week 5.

Monday

week1: xweight 4x8;
    week2: xweightminus10lbs 5x8;
    week3: xweightminus5lbs 5x8;
    week4: xweight 5x8;
    week5: xweightminus10lbs 6x8
    week6: xweightminus5lbs 6x8
    week7: xweight 6x8
    week8: xweightminus10lbs 7x8
    etc

Wednesday

8x2; add weight every week (not that heavy weight, RPE 6-7)

Friday

3x3; add weight every week (RPE always 9+)

Now, compared to what ppst teaches, this looks super fucking stupid. But it works, so far at least. How would you improve this template. I guess I won't be able to add unlimited sets on monday.
    Bench went from 204 lbs 5,5,4 to 236 lbs 3,3,3.
    Can you call this program Texas Method? I think it is kind of similiar.
    Last edited by zar9star; 06-10-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Many believe you must stay between 70%-85%. Test your formulas using prilepin's chart to check if you are with-in range.

Prilepin's Table (Chart) was developed for the Olympic Lifts. It requires some adjustments for other lifts.

Haven't watched this yet, but Izzy just posted the following: Prilepin's Chart is Overrated - YouTube

So what happens when you stall doing 7x8s? Add even more volume? I don't think this is sustainable. Either the stress will be to high to recover from on a weekly basis, or the intensity will be too low to drive progress IMO. If your bench is driving you to change up your program, I would recommend looking else were than TM. HLM, Barbell Med's intermediate program, or another intermediate program with more bench frequency.
    Last edited by Adam Franklin; 06-10-2017 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Prilepin's Table (Chart) was developed for the Olympic Lifts. It requires some adjustments for other lifts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Haven't watched this yet, but Izzy just posted the following: Prilepin's Chart is Overrated - YouTube
    ^This.

I think your "volume day" scheme is needlessly fussy.

I would:

- Just add a little weight to 4x8 each week.

- on volume day, perform a single @8 before the 8s (you'd be amazed how quickly you can detrain the neural shit).

- Instead of 3x3 with the same weight for all sets, I'd do a top set of 3, then drop the load 5-8% & do 3 more sets. So 12 reps.

- gain weight at a smart pace. You have to. Intermediates who refuse to gain weight are essentially working tirelessly to optimize the muscle they already have. Which is retarded. /rant
    Last edited by John Hanley; 06-10-2017 at 05:30 PM.

Elite powerlifters doing 6-10 sets of bench per session isn't as uncommon as you'd think, honestly. I can think of literally dozens of examples. I think once you're in that that 7-8 set range it makes more sense to simply add another session, though.

I also think you should read some of the primary sources on DUP instead of trying to draw out a program from a single quick post that I made. You'll get much better results if you do.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post

- gain weight at a smart pace. You have to. Intermediates who refuse to gain weight are essentially working tirelessly to optimize the muscle they already have. Which is retarded. /rant
    I'm conscious of that but I can't squat and deadlift at the moment since my back is injured. Since I'm not going to gain muscle in my legs and back, putting on bodyweight would only make me a weak fat fuck. I'm going to gain weight again, when I'm back to squats and deadlifts. Does that make sense?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Narvaez View Post
    Elite powerlifters doing 6-10 sets of bench per session isn't as uncommon as you'd think, honestly. I can think of literally dozens of examples. I think once you're in that that 7-8 set range it makes more sense to simply add another session, though.

I also think you should read some of the primary sources on DUP instead of trying to draw out a program from a single quick post that I made. You'll get much better results if you do.
    I can't train more than 3 times a week at the moment.
    In the long term I'm probably not going to use self written programs, but wouldn't it makes sense to keep increasing the weight on the 3x3 as long as I can? By your definition I'm still a novice since I'm able to progress every week, right?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast