starting strength gym
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Integrating the 20 rep squat

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    I suppose that, to be fair, 405 is probably around 50%-60% of his 1 RM, so it would be the same approximate starting point as anyone jumping into a 20 rep program. Yes, it's an impressive at 405# and this guy is probably in better conditioning shape than your typical competitive powerlifter, but it's not like he jumped right in and did 20 reps at 75%. All things being equal, I suppose you have to conclude that 405# for 20 reps for this guy is not more impressive than Carni doing 200# for 20 reps [emoji848][emoji6]
    It's impressive, but I think the main issue is that the best way to do this is to drive your squat up with better rep ranges and then train a couple of weeks to display a great 20 rep max. I think just doing 20's will never really drive your squat up as high as someone doing 5's (or other intelligent programming) and then displaying a 20 rep max after a little practice.

Many years ago I tried the 20 rep max program. I spoke will Bill Kazmaier about it one time on the phone. He told me pretty much the same thing. :-)

462x20, from the very early days of the training motivation thread (h/t chebass88)

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    It's impressive, but I think the main issue is that the best way to do this is to drive your squat up with better rep ranges and then train a couple of weeks to display a great 20 rep max. I think just doing 20's will never really drive your squat up as high as someone doing 5's (or other intelligent programming) and then displaying a 20 rep max after a little practice.

Many years ago I tried the 20 rep max program. I spoke will Bill Kazmaier about it one time on the phone. He told me pretty much the same thing. :-)
    You and Kazmaier are smarter than me on how to get your squat stronger, but I've read most of the articles from the old guys in the 30's about 20 rep routines. None of them were about anything other than a fast bulking routine for skinny people. In fact, they were GOMAD before Rip was even born.

Trying to up the weight of what you could squat for a single was never the objective of these routines.
    Last edited by Mark E. Hurling; 06-24-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You and Kazmaier are smarter than me on how to get your squat stronger, but I've read most of the articles from the old guys in the 30's about 20 rep routines. None of them were about anything other than a fast bulking routine for skinny people. In fact, they were GOMAD before Rip was even born.

Trying to up the weight of what you could squat for a single was never the objective of these routines.
    I wasn't talking about programming solely aimed at raising your 1RM. I am talking about a basic hypertrophy program (like even SS could be considered for this) vs one 20 rep set. I think you will see more hypertrophy and strength gains running a program with 5's, 8's, etc. vs just the 20 rep set.

Bob Hoffman made much the same case. Yet Eells, Berry, Rader, Hise and a few others had a lot of success in putting weight and size on the people they coached. Hoffman finally just lapsed into complete silence on the matter. Although he did allow McCallum to write a few 20 rep articles for one of his magazines, Strength and Health. McCallum's complete works for Hoffman are compiled in The Keys to Progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Bob Hoffman made much the same case. Yet Eells, Berry, Rader, Hise and a few others had a lot of success in putting weight and size on the people they coached. Hoffman finally just lapsed into complete silence on the matter. Although he did allow McCallum to write a few 20 rep articles for one of his magazines, Strength and Health. McCallum's complete works for Hoffman are compiled in The Keys to Progress.
    How much size and weight were the trainees getting? Some of that is the diet too.

Gaining 30 lbs. in 6 weeks was asserted to be common. The dietary stuff was pretty simple, GOMAD, and some prosaic things like blackstrap molasses. Remember, this was before supplements took off in the latter half of the 20th Century after WWII. Lotta meat and eggs too. Cholesterol had not yet become the boogeyman in those days.

Also remember the Great Depression of the 30's. No one had a lot of money to spend for anything. Definitely nothing too fancy.

Yes, heavy whipping cream was a staple for weight gain too. :-)

I wonder if you could get the same kind of results using this diet with a different program like SS? Having tried both types of training, I am much bigger now, and got a lot stronger, using programs other than 1 set of 20 reps. I actually made great gains at first using Hepburn's programs, which are very low reps with higher sets. The total was still over 20 reps though, and the tonnage was way higher than just doing one lighter set of 20.

I am sure this works for some folks, but if we are talking rank novices, really any kind of program that has you squatting is going to show some good results.

Quote Originally Posted by Callador View Post
    I am sure this works for some folks, but if we are talking rank novices, really any kind of program that has you squatting is going to show some good results.
    No argument there, and all the successes were with rank novices. They had tried "everything" else to no avail. Stuff like indian clubs, pulleys, medicine balls. Another thing worth noting was that a lot of illustrations and coaches of that era showed squatting while on the balls of the feet.

starting strength coach development program
    Thinking about trying one work set followed by a 20 rep set at 60%. Once per week, no other squat days. Thoughts? I'd like to focus on conditioning for a while.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast