starting strength gym

Thread: GGW-poor sleep on volume day

Default GGW-poor sleep on volume day

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a 27 year old male at 189 bodyweight. I ran two cycles of GGW and had the best progress I've had in a while. I PR'ed my squat @ 375 and my press @ 175. On the third cycle I tweaked my back on the week three volume day. I was rushing a morning workout a day early because of a weekend trip. I think I just had too narrow of a stance and lost tightness in the bottom.

Anyways, I'm feeling almost 100% again and will start a new cycle soon. The only thing I'm worried about is wether volume day may be too hard. Usually week three onward volume days are so rough on my legs that I can barely sleep at night due to the soreness. I was surprised by the level of soreness because I have been using a max for the percentages below my actual max.

Im not sure if this is a common issue that requires some tweaking to the program. Should I continue to push through and just take some maximum strength Alieve in the afternoon post volume day?

You shouldn't really be getting that sore. The heavy day on the HLM plan is not that high in volume. You need to look at factors such as caloric intake, protein intake, sleep, hydration, etc and make sure those are in order. But yes, just do the program as RX'd. Take Ibuprofen if you need it, but I wouldn't get dependent on NSAIDS for post-workout recovery.