starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New YouTube Video (Texas Method vs HLM)

Hey Andy, great video!

I had a question regarding one of the rep scheme examples you gave and its application to to a one lift per day program, if you could please take the time to answer. Do you think the 1x1-3 followed by 3x5 ata 10-20% back off is a good starting point for a mid-intermediate male lifter (early 30s, young kids, moderate life stress)? My concern is getting enough weekly volume while managing training time around everything else. Thanks.

If you are pushing it hard enough on that one lift per day then yes, plenty of people get good results on lower frequency programming.

On a similar note, have you come across many intermediates on a one lift per day program who are stalled or even regressing due to overtraining that lift?
    I can imagine that may be possible with heavy deads or at elite levels but assuming adequate nutrition and sleep can you realistically overtrain the other lifts with a one lift per day routine?

Yeah, maybe on Deads. Not with the other lifts. Usually its just a stagnation issue because the lifter is stuck on trying to progress a single rep scheme or just doesn't have enough volume and/or intensity in that 1x/week session.

Hi andy thanks a lot for the video.

I just tried the TM but this not worked, i visited the "hole" you mention once due to sleeping problems, stress, illness problems and putting deads on wednesday (yes, it was stupid).

Now i'm following the older client template Heavy-Light-Medium | Andy Baker. Really like the "preparation" thing. The only difference to my program is for bench and press which are TM, because i can change the lift priority week to week and because i never failed them yet, i'm doing 1x4 though, soon i need to change to 3x2.

I'd like to know if u could answer some of the questions below

1)If i well understood, if the H day is stuck the problem are in the M and L rather than the heavy, then i would like to know: How to know when heavy is not too heavy?
    2)if the H (3x5 across stucks) we can do 1 heavy set 1-3 and then back off, but how to adjust volume of L and M days, in the HLM template of that article, if the H day stucks ?
    3)What i do if i can't do the 1x1 dead in friday (the gym i go friday don't allows it), i dow bb rows? rdl?

Thanks for the video, subscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by tavccp View Post
    Hi andy thanks a lot for the video.

I just tried the TM but this not worked, i visited the "hole" you mention once due to sleeping problems, stress, illness problems and putting deads on wednesday (yes, it was stupid).

Now i'm following the older client template Heavy-Light-Medium | Andy Baker. Really like the "preparation" thing. The only difference to my program is for bench and press which are TM, because i can change the lift priority week to week and because i never failed them yet, i'm doing 1x4 though, soon i need to change to 3x2.

I'd like to know if u could answer some of the questions below

1)If i well understood, if the H day is stuck the problem are in the M and L rather than the heavy, then i would like to know: How to know when heavy is not too heavy?
    2)if the H (3x5 across stucks) we can do 1 heavy set 1-3 and then back off, but how to adjust volume of L and M days, in the HLM template of that article, if the H day stucks ?
    3)What i do if i can't do the 1x1 dead in friday (the gym i go friday don't allows it), i dow bb rows? rdl?

Thanks for the video, subscribed.
    1) It is hard to know. I usually just look and see where L and M are and how they look (bar speed). If they are offset at say 20% and 10% respectively and bar speed looks fast then I'll likely decrease that offset to 10% and 5% respectively with also a possible increase in volume. If the L and M look okay then I'll address the heavy day and make whatever changes.
    2) If I almost always base L and M day off my heaviest 5s on the H day.
    3) You can't deadlift or you can't do max (1x1) deadlifts?

I didn't know that you had a Yt channel, that's excellent. Subscribed right away.

Just started it. Have some old shit on there but the quality was low. Trying to step up my social media game a bit

starting strength coach development program
    Hey Andy, thanks for these great videos, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of these. One comment though - could you either write larger on the white board or zoom in on the board? Your writing is neat & clear, just a little small & hard to read at this distance.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast