starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New YouTube Video (Texas Method vs HLM)

Default clarification

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    1) It is hard to know. I usually just look and see where L and M are and how they look (bar speed). If they are offset at say 20% and 10% respectively and bar speed looks fast then I'll likely decrease that offset to 10% and 5% respectively with also a possible increase in volume. If the L and M look okay then I'll address the heavy day and make whatever changes.
    2) If I almost always base L and M day off my heaviest 5s on the H day.
    3) You can't deadlift or you can't do max (1x1) deadlifts?
    3) i can deadlift monday, but each week in fridays i'm in other town and the gym there doesn't allow deadlifting or oly lifting. So i can't do the second deadlift of the week in the template "HLM older lifter".

In the article you wrote we deadlift 1x5 on heavy day in monday, lets say 1x5x315 and in friday u must do 1x1x320, a bit heavier than monday. Then in the next monday we try 1x5x320

I follow that template to the letter for squats, but i can't deadlift in fridays that's why i asked another option

Well then just structure your program so that all Deadlifting occurs on Monday.

Excellent knowledge share.

Please do explore the myriads of ways the very malleable HLM can be modified to suit various needs,goals, age etc. or the fundamental principles a good program should be based on or how could an intermediate trainee know when to move a more advanced program in your future videos. I saw your Youtube comment asking for ideas for future videos. So, these are the a few things I'd like to hear from a programming expert like yourself.

Thank you.

Great video Andy -

One question -

Both HLM and Texas Method can operate essentially on the same progression -> linearly once a week. That is, optimally in both scenarios, the early intermediate would be increasing the squat by 5lbs on a weekly basis. So, this equates to essentially the exact same rate of progress, all else equal.

Why would one bother doing TM, which is without a doubt more taxing and stressful, if one can achieve the same rate of progress on HLM?

It seems that the only reason to do TM instead of HLM is if for some reason the trainee required that much more stress to progress at the same rate. No?

Your last sentence answered your question.

Soooo....

Seeing as I'm damned near 58, but went with your "3 or 4 day TM, why not both?" program for what is now 4 cycles (at the end of this week), is it maybe time to go to a true HLM program as per "Barbell Prescription" before I dig a hole too deep? My legs are still feeling last Wednesday's volume squat workout...

I had gone with this program, as it seemed like the best way to add more volume for my BP and SP over the SS LP. When on the SS LP, I could lift twice a week. Three times a week had me physically and mentally drained. I tried lifting once every three days, but just couldn't fit that into my schedule. MWF or TThS does work for me on alternate weeks. Haven't missed a workout during the entire four cycles.

starting strength coach development program
    Maybe. I really prefer HLM for older lifts, but if you do the 4-day TM spread out over a longer period of time (as you are doing now) that often works too. If you are beat to hell or not progressing try the HLM program. My Garage Gym Warrior program is an HLM routine you can buy off my site or you can read through my HLM articles at my blog + PPST3 and set up your own routine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12