starting strength gym

Thread: Programming for Master Intermediate+

Default Programming for Master Intermediate+

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've been contemplating a new program, as my lifts have been stagnating for 6 months plus. The last 3 meet cycles I have been doing periodized training which frankly hasn't done much if anything for my lifts. Mentally and physically I seem to respond better to some form of linear progression.

I'm basically taking the Hepburn program, and making it a little less intense for an older lifter by alternating some lighter work. This is what I'm considering doing:

Monday - Intensity squat - Do Hepburn type programming starting with 1 set of 3 reps and 7 sets of 2 reps starting at around 80% of 1RM. Each week add one rep to two sets until all sets are three's then add weight and start over.
    Monday accessory - Close grip bench press 3-5 sets of 5 reps, Chins - 5x5 - add weight to both when all sets/reps completed

Tuesday - Intensity press - Do Hepburn type programming starting with 1 set of 3 reps and 7 sets of 2 reps starting at around 80-85% of 1RM. Each week add one rep to two sets until all sets are three's then add weight and start over.
    Tuesday accessory - Alternate stiff leg deadlifts or rack pulls for 3 sets of 5 reps. Heavy cheat rows to navel without setting the bar down for 3 sets of five each. Add weight each time 3 sets of 5 is completed. GHR for 3 sets of 10 reps, add weight/band tension each time all reps are completed.

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - Intensity Bench - Do Hepburn type programming starting with 1 set of 3 reps and 7 sets of 2 reps starting at around 80-85% of 1RM. Each week add one rep to two sets until all sets are three's then add weight and start over.
    Volume squat with SSB (to target quads) - 3-5 sets of 5 reps. Add weight each time all reps are completed
    Thursday accessory - Curls for the girls 3 sets of AMRAPS

Friday - Intensity Deadlift - Do Hepburn type programming starting with 1 set of 3 reps and 7 sets of 2 reps starting at 75-80% of 1RM. Each week add one rep to two sets until all sets are three's then add weight.
    Friday accessory - Dips or other tricep work for 3-5 sets of 5.

Saturday/Sunday - rest or perhaps a few rounds of sprinting or prowler work depending on how I feel.

The only issue with this programming that I see is tricep work or pressing every training day. Hepburn programmed alternating bench and overhead presses each day as well so it may work.

Thoughts/comments???

At my age I think 8 sets could be too many. I know many have had success with the Hepburn progressions, but the boredom has kept me from sticking with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    At my age I think 8 sets could be too many. I know many have had success with the Hepburn progressions, but the boredom has kept me from sticking with it.
    Regarding the 8 sets, that's what Hepburn programmed originally and is where I'll start and see how that works out. I may have to reduce it to 6 which is what bustermonkey2 is doing in his log.

Regarding boredom, I'm not affected by it as I'm already boring. Plus it will be nice to see progression, hopefully, rather than jumping around with a variety of reps and sets and not really finding out if you are making progress until the end of the training cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    Regarding the 8 sets, that's what Hepburn programmed originally and is where I'll start and see how that works out. I may have to reduce it to 6 which is what bustermonkey2 is doing in his log.

Regarding boredom, I'm not affected by it as I'm already boring. Plus it will be nice to see progression, hopefully, rather than jumping around with a variety of reps and sets and not really finding out if you are making progress until the end of the training cycle.

Having gone through the program once now I will be making some changes:
    - Rather than adding 1 rep to one or two sets, I will push things a little to somewhat accelerate the program. Meaning, if I feel good that day I might try for making most or all sets 3's.
    - Drop rack pulls and concentrate on very heavy cheat rows to waist (doing both would be a little to much for my back)
    - Drop dips (bothers my shoulders) and add press work on Friday
    - Accessory lifts are optional depending on how I feel for the day (do none, some, or all depending on how I feel)
    - At some point I may add one 95%+ 1RM at the start of the workout, or, I may drop sets/accessories if I start to feel burnt out.

Monday -Squat - 8 sets of 2-3 reps - Add weight when all sets are 3's
    Monday accessory:
    - Close grip bench press - 5x5 - add weight when all sets are 5's
    - Chins - 4x5 - alternate overhand and underhand grips - add weight to both when all sets/reps completed, or add reps

Tuesday - Press - 8 sets of 2-3 reps - Add weight when all sets are 3's
    Tuesday accessory:
    - Stiff leg deadlifts - 3x5 - Add weight when all sets are 5's
    - Heavy cheat rows to navel without setting the bar down - 3x5. Add weight when all sets are 5's
    - GHR -3x10- add weight/band tension each time all reps are completed.

Wednesday - rest

Thursday - Bench - 8 sets of 2-3 reps - Add weight when all sets are 3's
    Thursday Accessory:
    - Volume squat with SSB (to target quads) - 3-5x5 - Add weight when all sets are 5's
    - Curls - 3 sets of AMRAPS

Friday - Deadlift - 8 sets of 2-3 reps - Add weight when all sets are 3's
    Friday accessory:
    -Incline press at 70 degrees - 3x5 - Add weight when all sets are 5's
    -Press lockouts - 3x5 - Start with bar on pins at eye level - Add weight when all sets are 5's

That looks like a good plan. I hope it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    Curious what your periodized training looked like.
    I've program hopped quite a bit over the last year. I seemed to have the best results with Andy's 5/3/1 program and the Candito intermediate. I don't think I've gained much if any strength over the past 6 months. Last year's training below and in my log...

Andy Baker 5/3/1 July-Oct
    Candito intermediate program from Oct-Dec 2016,
    Dr. Squat program from Jan-March 2017,
    Andy baker Raw Powerlifting - April -June 2017.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    That looks like a good plan. I hope it works for you.

Thanks Ian,

The one good thing about this type of programming is I'll know if I'm making progress or not. We'll see how it goes... I gotta catch up to you and Gilchrest on the press