starting strength gym

Thread: Going on vacation, what to do?

Question Going on vacation, what to do?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,
    I'm going on vacation for the last two weeks of July, so I won't have an access to a gym. What do you think I should do about this? Should I increase the training frequency before I go in order to overreach? Currrently, I'm kind of reaching the end of my novice phase. My lifts are:

• deadlift 375 lbs x 5
    • bench 240 lbs x 5
    • squat 165 lbs x 10

The reason my squat is so light is because I'm still in the rehab process of an injury. Before I got injured I squatted 300 lbs for 5.

What do you think I should do to minimize the loss of progress in those 2 weeks?

Training is a long process. Enjoy your vacation.

I took 2 weeks off a few months ago. The first couple workouts when I got back felt a little heavy but everything came back within a couple days. Don't worry about it.

Enjoy your vacation, and come back to work out again.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by novice4ever View Post
    What do you think I should do to minimize the loss of progress in those 2 weeks?
    Keep up your eating during vacation. When you come back, you may have trouble hitting your previous worksets, so you may need to deload a bit. However, strength comes back very quickly, and you can take bigger jumps in the first few sessions back to return to where you were more quickly. Sometimes the CNS just needs a wake up call after not lifting for a while.

Are you sure you won't have access to a gym?

I've lifted in several cities while travelling, by just buying a $10 day pass at some nearby gym. Pack your training log, lifting shoes and belt. Maybe lift a little bit lighter than you do at home, given the strange equipment and disturbed sleep/diet.

When I travel for work, I make sure I find a gym to continue training. My family is usually not with me, so I can go spend an hour in a gym, and then go stuff my face with Mexican food.

When I travel for vacation, I don't try to train at all. Jumping around in a hotel pool with my little guys is more valuable than making sure I find a gym, training, etc.

You could always test some maxes before you leave, just for fun.

I recommend you LP your alcohol intake, have a small deload the week before your leave, then set some inebriation PRs while on your vacation.

I used to stress over this kind of stuff, but I learned that 2 weeks of R&R never killed anyone.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I recommend you LP your alcohol intake, have a small deload the week before your leave, then set some inebriation PRs while on your vacation.
    Haha good advice!